New mic (and who packs like this?)

keith.rogers

I got a "demo" AKG D112 (mkii) just because I never have really had a kick drum/bass-specific mic and this was cheaper than even the lowest price used version on Reverb. As I expected, it's in the original shrink wrap so just someone clearing out inventory. (At least 50% of my experience with demo/open box purchases turn out like this.)

Anyway, the logics of packing stuff like this continues to mystify me. I've decided these big boxes must meet some maximum size before the box size causes an upcharge, so it's the only box they buy, and use it for everything that won't fit into an envelope. And, no, I didn't remove any bubble wrap or inside packing. The mic was just bouncing around inside the big box. (Also interesting - this was a clean, never used AMAZON box, with the TM arrow/smile logo - not purchased from/via Amazon - they probably got a deal on them, too!)

2019-01-12 15.26.02.jpg

LOL. Hate that.
At least the microphone is / should be well packaged within its own box.
I had someone send me a 1u rackmount compressor just like that before. Didn't even remove the ears or anything!

You tried the mic out yet? It's exclusively for kick drum?
It's a very scooped sounding mic with pronounced bass. Can work surprisingly well for OTT sounding V/O, particularly over music.
Wouldn't rule it out for low toms or even guitar amps, maybe combined with something else.

Cheap but useful. :)

I bought a D112 about two months ago just for the kick tone... I replaced the condenser I had as outside drum mic with it after I had listened extensively to the samples from the KD mic shootout on recordinghacks.com.It was "on sale" at MF but they did box it ok. I have a Chinese Audio Technica branded drum mic kit that had 3 gen purp dynamics and one low freq/kick drum mic that I bought around 11 years ago, but tho I never warmed to them , I found I did like the low freq dyn works great for mic'ing bass cab though I did not like it on kick at all. I'm actually using an old vocal dynamic meant for live vocals as the inner KD mic as it really gives me that beater pop.

Back