New Mic Replacement

Rolf Fiesel

just sold my AT 4040.... and replacing it with some sort of upgrade... maybe Rode NT2A..or maybe something in the price range ? thoughts ??

A Rode NT2a is *not* an upgrade to an AT4040. More of a sideways move. There are lots of *real* upgrades, and not one of them comes cheap. So- as the others have pointed out, you need to know exactly what you intend to do with this mic. But- for a real upgrade to a 4040, you're looking a mics like Lawson L47, B.L.U.E. Kiwi/Cactus/Bottle Rocket, Neumann U87, Microtech Gefell, Brauner, etc.

If i am upgrading a mic i try to buy one that people compare with more expensive mics. the 4040 is a good bang for your buck mic where people compare it to mics that are $300-500 range in quality. I would try the Blue Microphones Bluebird Cardioid Condenser Microphone for $300 which is compared with $1000 microphones.
Don't buy an expensive microphone unless you know what you are doing- a nice mic will only pick up a shitty room if you don't have a booth as well!

Rolf,

If you like the 4040, maybe check out one of it's big brothers that does multi pattern.

Well, my NT2-a's were my first mics I bought, and they've been a mainstay in my studio, although they pretty much exclusively act as drum overheads these days.

That being said, if you want an upgrade, why not a 4050 or 4060? Or a 4047, which I have and love!

Because you just bought one and feel good about it?

That is fine. If it works for you. Not going to be the best for every voice ...

Back