New, Cheap Isolation Tracking Headphones

Harvey Gerst

I've gotten so tired of seeing all these "what's the best" threads, I thought this might be interesting for some of you. This is about what's the minimum you need to do a good job, at an affordable price.

If you're only recording yourself, stay with the top of the line headphones from Sony, Sennheiser, Beyer, and AKG.

But if you're recording bands, you'll need cheaper, more rugged phones, with decent isolation, to pass out to band members. I couldn't find anything to fill the bill, so I decided to do something about it. All the info is at:

http://www.ITRstudio.com/moreme.html

Sorry, if this is considered spam, I'll gladly delete it. Just thought it may help some of you.

Can I have mine on toast with extra jelly?:)

I came up with a prototype of my own based onthe fact that Musicians friend sells headphones that have broken headbands cheap and the elemens go into those protective earmuffs easilly.

I recently bought some elements for abour $5 there, studio monitor ones.

Harvey,

thanks for the headsup on a great deal...Ill be PayPal'ing you in the next few days for a pair......

Im only recording myself, but i need a CHEAP headphone that wont crap out on me for no reason.......

Gidge said:
Harvey,

thanks for the headsup on a great deal...Ill be PayPal'ing you in the next few days for a pair......

Im only recording myself, but i need a CHEAP headphone that wont crap out on me for no reason.......

These "won't crap out on you for no reason". If they DO crap out, there will definitely be a reason.:rolleyes:

At least, I'll replace them fast and cheap. But seriously, we haven't had a problem with any of the test units - they're all still going strong.

Great Idea. Do you think these would work good for live mixing situations? I personally like AudioTechnica ATH-M40f's because of the isolation and good sound, but I could use a few more pairs fore sure especially at only $20.

* * * * * Thanks

Beez

Beezoboy said:
Great Idea. Do you think these would work good for live mixing situations? I personally like AudioTechnica ATH-M40f's because of the isolation and good sound, but I could use a few more pairs fore sure especially at only $20.

Beez

Yup, they'd be great for doing live sound. They have pretty decent isolation, they're rugged as hell, and at only $20 each, you won't cry all that much if they get stepped on, get left behind at the gig, or mysteriously walk off the stage at the end of the night.

Actually, they don't sound all that bad either. Once I got use to them, I could probably do some decent FOH mixing with them. Hell, for $20 each, buy a few pair and try them for a month or so. If you don't like them, send 'em back and I'll give you your $20 back.

Harvey Gerst said:
I've gotten so tired of seeing all these "what's the best" threads, I thought this might be interesting for some of you. This is about what's the minimum you need to do a good job, at an affordable price.

If you're only recording yourself, stay with the top of the line headphones from Sony, Sennheiser, Beyer, and AKG.

But if you're recording bands, you'll need cheaper, more rugged phones, with decent isolation, to pass out to band members. I couldn't find anything to fill the bill, so I decided to do something about it. All the info is at:

http://www.ITRstudio.com/moreme.html

Sorry, if this is considered spam, I'll gladly delete it. Just thought it may help some of you.

Are they the best though?...........

How many do you have? I have been looking to buy four or five pairs of headphones for tracking and this looks to be the ticket, but I don't want to wait too long and find out that you sold them all.

Thanks!

Harvey,
Thanks !
I'll be sending an order shortly.
Ive used the Hall of Famers also, they sound good ,but break the first time someone tries to spread them open over a 5 gallon "bucket head".
I've also got the Race track ones but I have a hard time spending the $50 or so each.
I appreciate your effort.

Re: Re: New, Cheap Isolation Tracking Headphones

acorec said:
Are they the best though?...........
They're kinda like the McDonalds of headphones - not a great hamburger, but they'll do the job - especially if you're really hungry, and really broke.

Chris Fallen said:
How many do you have? I have been looking to buy four or five pairs of headphones for tracking and this looks to be the ticket, but I don't want to wait too long and find out that you sold them all.
Chris,

I have exactly 5 pair left, but I'll have another two cases of headphones here by tomorrow afternoon.

Re: Thanks!

tmix said:
Harvey,
Thanks !
I'll be sending an order shortly.
Ive used the Hall of Famers also, they sound good ,but break the first time someone tries to spread them open over a 5 gallon "bucket head".
I've also got the Race track ones but I have a hard time spending the $50 or so each.
I appreciate your effort.

I like the race track phones too, but they're only mono, and there's no way to get inside them if they need fixing.

I don't even wanna think about the Hall Of Famers - talk about a flawed design.

mikedaul said:
Hi Harvey - do you think these phones would suffice for tracking drums?

Yup, we've used them many times to track drums. That's the whole point. I didn't want to hand out 7506's to drummers who had a habit of stepping on the damn things.

Hey Recording Engineer, do you think you could make this thread a sticky for a while... I know it's not the norm... but hell it's Harvey and after all he has done for all of us here the least we could do is help him get the word out about his new headphone business... I think HR.com should make an exception to the norm for the old man... don't you think? That way I and others won't have to keep bumping it back to the top of the board. hehehe Thanks.

Thanks, DJL

In a way, this all came about because of you guys anyway. I kept seeing a common theme on these bulletin boards about people needing stuff that worked well, but didn't have enough money to afford the best stuff out there. I've been in that spot many times before.

The problem was that I found these phones that were pretty decent, but nobody stocked them. I had to wait months to get my first five pair. I couldn't recommend them, because there was no place to buy them and the stores that said they had them, didn't. and some stores were charging $30 and $40 a pair.

That meant I had to convince a store to carry them in quantity, or sell them myself. After trying a few stores, I gave up and contacted the importer and the rest is history (maybe).

I'm picking up two more cases tomorrow, and I'm going to try to convince the distributor that I want a lock on the other 6 cases they have in stock.

At $20 each and a generous warranty (from me, not the importer) I ain't gonna get rich on these things, but a lot of people may benefit from having the "MoreMe" phones. (I was gonna call them "Cheap-a-phones" or "Trash-a-phones", but "MoreMe's" sounded better, and they really are pretty decent sounding phones.

They're too low profit for the good stores to carry, but it's no big deal to sell these since I'm already in business (kinda) selling the rec.audio.pro compilation sets anyway.

As I said, these ain't for everybody. If you're just recording yourself, get a decent set of high end phones from Sony, Sennheiser, Beyer, or AKG.

But if you are recording bands, get several pairs of these phones and you'll thank me for months to come, everytime one of these sets survive what would have killed your high dollar sets.

Harvey, I just gotta say.... You ARE the man. I year ago I woulda ordered 4, but then my band had to go and break up.....

-J

Back