New Bargain "Pre-Modded Tube Mic" For The Soldering Skill Impaired...

kidvybes

...if you're like me, and you admire all the great "modded" gear that people like Philgood here on HR.com whip up, but your own skills with a soldering iron leave much to desire (and a few scars to boot), there's an affordable option...

...Peter Bloch at Stellar Sound is now offering a "pre-modded" tube mic, with upgraded capsule, transformer, modded EF86 tube circuit and a solid shock mount all for the price of the mod service alone...maybe you've read the great reviews that Advanced Audio's CM-47 has been getting (see the link below) but you haven't got the $700+ to fork up...
http://www.aamicrophones.com/pdfs/CM47.pdf

...well, how about 1/2 the price?...yep!...for only $350 you get a great vintage style tube mic (think Nady TCM1050) but this one's already got the "tweaking" that many of the modders here on HR.com have been toying with for years with excellent results...

...I've been in the process of testing one right now, and the mic is most impressive at this pricepoint...we'll be shooting out a group of various modded and non-modded tube mics in the near future, like we did with the MXL 2003A and a group of low-end LDC mics a few months ago, and this mic will be included (and it's the lowest price competitor!)...

...my partner/engineer and I are determined to seek out some of the best "low-end" values in recording gear, and this mic is looking like the tube mic bargain of the bunch...so, if you like the MXL 2003A as a best value in an FET mic, then this is the companion tube mic...if you like the GAP PRE-73 Neve-inspired mic pre, then this is the tube mic equivalent...great value for sure!...

...we hope to have sound files up soon...in the meantime, check out Stellar's CM-6 tube microphone...and it's Christmas too...good timing!

Stellar CM-6 EF86/EF806 Tube Condensor Microphone - eBay (item 130461480943 end time Jan-01-11 12:33:12 PST)

***I'm not affiliated with any of the product manufacturer's mentioned in this post...just a motivated gear enthusiast with a penchant for a good deal!***

Attachments

• StellarCM6ondesk2.jpg
    StellarCM6ondesk2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 550
  • stellarcm6onstand2.jpg
    stellarcm6onstand2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 544
  • Stellar CM-6case.jpg
    Stellar CM-6case.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
...the initial tests were impressive!...this mic sounds real sweet...definate textured "toob" vibes, but with a rounded, balanced sound...nice bottom, clear forward mids, and a nice bit of air on top, without any noticeable harshness that plagues many of the cheap tube mics from China...frankly, I'm not sure how he can sell it so cheap, but I'd recommend grabbing one sooner than later...prices have a habit of rising...

...I'd love to hear this mic up against Peluso's entry-level short body 2247...I have a hunch the differences would be very slight at best, but just a thought...

...here's a closer look under the hood...stock Nady TCM1050 (photo courtesy of Recordinghacks.com) on top, Stellar CM-6 below...

Attachments

• TCM1050-circuit.jpg
    TCM1050-circuit.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 555
  • StellarCM6circuit.jpg
    StellarCM6circuit.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 560
Yeah that would be pretty rare for a mic. It's funny; it's practically universal for input transformers, but preamps are more likely to be in close proximity to low frequency EMI than mics . . . still, I would use mumetal if I could fit it . . .

No real need for mumetal inside a mic. It isn't near a power transformer. The body of the mic + ground is shielding enough (usually).

I saw this mic on eBay yesterday. Looks like he's spot on for the most part. I would change the capsule to a K47 style for sure. I'd also ditch the 2.2uF for a 1uF. I know most people think its going to improve the low end, but in reality...

Another reason I like Lundahl and some of the Jensen transformers. They come pre-encased in mumetal.

I don't think it is. I think its just nickel plated brass like the rest of the body. I should probably cut into one to be sure.

Nope, there is very little sense for brass to be there. If you check it, it is actually magnetic, in other words, mild steel. Not as good as mu-metal, but not nearly as useless (for shielding purposes, of course) as brass.
On the other hand, as you have already mentioned, there is no real good reason for it to be there, to start with--they could save a quarter.

Best, M

No real need for mumetal inside a mic. It isn't near a power transformer. The body of the mic + ground is shielding enough (usually).

Yeah, but it's a crazy world and getting crazier. I hear report of cell phone interference--you figure that should be way too high to be troubling, but . . . and there are some portable units with switching power supplies that spit out all kinds of garbage, and the units themselves aren't well shielded. Especially in the low end, the days of the mic in the controlled studio environment are slipping away . . .

I would change the capsule to a K47 style for sure. I'd also ditch the 2.2uF for a 1uF. I know most people think its going to improve the low end, but in reality...

...Phil...if I was to swap out the capsule for a K47, would anything else need to changed out, or would the capsule swap be a simple procedure?...

How can you tell it has a 2.2uf cap philgood ??DB

...yes DB...it states so in the auction description...same thing Dave Thomas does on his CM-47...

Last edited:
...Phil...if I was to swap out the capsule for a K47, would anything else need to changed out, or would the capsule swap be a simple procedure?...

Its a very simple procedure and a direct fit. PM me for some more info. The only thing I would want to check is the capsule bias voltage to make sure its not too high.

On the other hand, as you have already mentioned, there is no real good reason for it to be there, to start with--they could save a quarter.

Best, M

In all honesty, I think they devised that case as a way to keep the transformer in position instead of rattling around. Its held in there with double sided foam tape, as you well know.

Hey kid, slightly OT but the events yesterday at the "other place" were truly shocking, although I don't know why I'd be shocked after what happened here. It's just a sad situation.

You might consider saving printable versions of those threads while they still exist . . .

Back