Neumann TLM 49 or KMS 105?

RodrigoPandelo

I know that those are apples and oranges, but let me explain my case:

I'm starting to invest in microphones to record my live lounge acoustic songs at my home, and that's what I've been using only a Neumann KMS105 on vocals with the AT2035 on acoustic, or the AT2035 to record both vocals and acoustic.

I have just got my hands in a KM184, and I'm in love with the sound of it. I was thinking in use it with the AT2035 in acoustic guitar, recording in stereo, while I use the KMS105 on my vocals. But I'm almost with money to get myself a TLM 49 (I love this mic... the look, the sound...) or another KM184 (to use as a matched pair to my acoustic guitar).

So, my doubt is: can I have a good sound with the KMS105, comparing it to the TLM 49? If I can, maybe I will get the KM184 first, and only get the TLM 49 later. But if the quality of the TLM 49 is way superior than the KMS 105, I would prefer to get it first, and only later get my hands on another KM184.

What do you guys think?

The KMS 105 is designed more for live use, but from everything I've heard, it works well in home recording settings, and if it fits your voice (which I've not heard), why spend a ton of money? (Full disclosure, I've got a KMS 104 and it does my voice just fine, but then, so does an SM58!)

Now, I do not have any of the other mics you have or looking at, but I've got opinions :)

If you've got some serious guitar chops, and play fingerstyle, particularly, I'd probably be inclined to just add another KM184 and use that pair on the guitar. It's a hard combination to beat, unless you're going to start over and double your money on a pair of Schoeps MK4s or such. If the AT2035 works well for your voice, you might unload the KMS105 to finance the KM184.

I probably wouldn't buy the TLM 49, myself, just for acoustic guitar, but I'm sure it does a fine job, and if your studio and voice can take advantage of a mic of that caliber, and you've got the money, hey, it's up to you!

I probably wouldn't buy the TLM 49, myself, just for acoustic guitar, but I'm sure it does a fine job, and if your studio and voice can take advantage of a mic of that caliber, and you've got the money, hey, it's up to you!

Hi there, Keith! Thank you for the tips, my friend!

The TLM wouldn't be for the acoustic. It would be for my vocals. I use the 105 for live, but I was wondering if it is a good mic to record in home, compared to the 49. On the acoustic, I will probably get another KM184... I was just wondering the differences between the 105 and the 49, because if they are huge, I would get me the 49 first, and the 184 later. But if they are quite similar, I could get the 184 first (and stop using the 2035), and start working my way to another vocal mic for recordings without hurry.

Ah... and just for you know... here's a recording of me playing and singing Unchained Melody. The vocal is being done with the 105, and the guitar is with the 2035. (I cant post links here, because I'm a new member of the forum, but you could fine the video searching in youtube for "Rodrigo Pandeló Unchained Melody"

Thank you, once again!!!

Hi there, Keith! Thank you for the tips, my friend!

The TLM wouldn't be for the acoustic. It would be for my vocals. I use the 105 for live, but I was wondering if it is a good mic to record in home, compared to the 49. On the acoustic, I will probably get another KM184... I was just wondering the differences between the 105 and the 49, because if they are huge, I would get me the 49 first, and the 184 later. But if they are quite similar, I could get the 184 first (and stop using the 2035), and start working my way to another vocal mic for recordings without hurry.

Ah... and just for you know... here's a recording of me playing and singing Unchained Melody. The vocal is being done with the 105, and the guitar is with the 2035. ...

Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers (Rodrigo Pandeló acoustic cover) - YouTube
....!

You have a very nice voice - I would stick with the LDC for your voice, maybe try the 105 and 184 as a spaced pair on the guitar until you get a 184. With that, you could get a bit of width in the guitar (don't go crazy spreading it out - it is a single point source).

Your room may benefit from good acoustic treatment to get your money's worth out of a TLM 49, is my only concern.

You have a very nice voice - I would stick with the LDC for your voice, maybe try the 105 and 184 as a spaced pair on the guitar until you get a 184. With that, you could get a bit of width in the guitar (don't go crazy spreading it out - it is a single point source).

Your room may benefit from good acoustic treatment to get your money's worth out of a TLM 49, is my only concern.

I listened and have the same feelings about keeping with the LDC for his voice and some worthy acoustic treatment. The simple thing/elephant in the room seems to be the room itself.

Props to your talents man. Keep on keepin on brother! :)

I will use the AT 2035 for now as my vocal mic, until I get myself a TLM 49. For my acoustic, I will go with the km184 and kms105 to achieve a stereo image of the sound... until I get another KM184.

Ah! And do you think the TLM 49 is a nice microphone for a smooth vocal? I can't test those mics, because they just don't exist here, in Brazil. I have to import everything I want from USA. And for sure I will treat my room... it's a "far from ideal" place for recording.

Thank you for the help, Keith!

I will use the AT 2035 for now as my vocal mic, until I get myself a TLM 49. For my acoustic, I will go with the km184 and kms105 to achieve a stereo image of the sound... until I get another KM184.

Ah! And do you think the TLM 49 is a nice microphone for a smooth vocal? I can't test those mics, because they just don't exist here, in Brazil. I have to import everything I want from USA. And for sure I will treat my room... it's a "far from ideal" place for recording.

Thank you for the help, Keith!

I have a-b tested every mic I own. For me, the Neumann TLM 49 has become my go-to vocal mic. It's ideal for smooth vocals. It imparts a warmth, richness and presence that's just right. Paired with a good vocal plug-in to tweak the sound a bit to get that professional touch, you can absolutely get studio quality vocals. The sweet spot for me is with the mic placed about 8 inches away. Of course, it should be stressed that different voices will react with various microphones differently, so testing is always advisable. But the TLM 49 is an outstanding vocal mic, in my opinion. Of course, it's not exactly inexpensive, so that always has to be factored in.

I've actually just ordered a single 105, but if you have a 184, then one more to give a stereo pair would be the most use (for me). I always try to get mics in pairs, because I find every pair I have hets used more than singles? That said, I wonder if the 105 will get me excited? I suspect not - but in lockdown, I'm very good at finding bargains.

Not in this league AT ALL! But if "stereo" means proper stereo, XY cardies* spaced omnies, best to get actual matched pairs. Often cheaper than singles and you usually get a bar and other bits.

If only 'sort of' stereo with just two mics disported about the guitar, not an issue.

Anyone interested in stereo recording should read about the "Gerzon Array" in the current issue of Sound on Sound.

*Crossed figure eights is said to be good, with ribbons? Slurp!

Dave.

Back