Neumann TLM 103

Orson

Was thinking of an upgrade for my wife's vocals. She uses a Rode NT1A at present and very occasionally another Rode Shotgun microphone for voice over work.

Some in same line of work always mention or have the 103. So I was wondering about other user experiences of this microphone good or bad. Is it worth the extra cash etc.

Where we live there is zero chance of walking into a shop and trying a range of microphones before purchasing. We have no choice but to purchase online. Hence the need for others views.

Thanks.

I'd prefer my AKG 414 to the 103, to be honest because of the range of patterns available. An expensive cardioid only I'd have to really think about.

I'd prefer my AKG 414 to the 103, to be honest because of the range of patterns available. An expensive cardioid only I'd have to really think about.

Is it used for vocals Rob?

I have only singled the 103 out as it used by others who use it for voice overs. I am sure there are plenty of mics out there which may be suitable for an upgrade/2nd mic to give a different sound. But as I have said our purchase will be online with no chance of a test drive.

If your credit card can handle it and you live in The States where there are retailers that accept things back without much fuss, I'd order a couple mics, at least, in that price class just to convince myself I was making a rational decision. It would cost you the return shipping fee.

In Europe out in the sticks Keith. I could order a couple of microphones but I know I will get charged for returns.

Last edited:
I use the 414 for anything where I need clarity. If I want warmth, then my collection of other mics seems to work as a contrast. However - I have two switchable pattern mics and they come in handy for strange things like 4 people sitting around a table, mic in the centre on omni. The omni pattern has also saved my bacon on a rather tricky to record upright piano, and anything where people might approach a mic from a variety of directions on stage. I don't use the figure 8 pattern very much as I only have the one. I do have another setup I can do two fig 8s on for Blumlein style recordings. From ones I have heard, the Neumann 103s sound quite bright too, but I can't really compare it with the 414. I've never heard anyone complain about them, but for me, expensive mics need to be used a lot to justify their price.

I use the 414 for anything where I need clarity. If I want warmth, then my collection of other mics seems to work as a contrast. However - I have two switchable pattern mics and they come in handy for strange things like 4 people sitting around a table, mic in the centre on omni. The omni pattern has also saved my bacon on a rather tricky to record upright piano, and anything where people might approach a mic from a variety of directions on stage. I don't use the figure 8 pattern very much as I only have the one. I do have another setup I can do two fig 8s on for Blumlein style recordings. From ones I have heard, the Neumann 103s sound quite bright too, but I can't really compare it with the 414. I've never heard anyone complain about them, but for me, expensive mics need to be used a lot to justify their price.

Totally agree about usage. Perhaps we should take a trip to the city for a weekend before we buy and try and find a place where we can try some mics out. Probably work out a lot more cash but kill two birds with one stone and be sure ourselves and get the chance to see what else is around.

Thats a good question. The answer is nothing and something.

We never knew that the interface can make a difference to a voice. We had the 2i2 and then purchased the Audient14 and there is a difference when using the same mic. So we ran the Rode shotgun mic through both and there was a difference there as well.

We looked what others were using and the people we looked at used the 103 and their work was quite varied. So we thought should we go down the same road.

When seeing mic comparisons the more expensive mics usually appear to give a softer sound than the cheaper ones.

Dunno but thats why I asked for others experience of the 103.

Not sure if this may help or not...

Search Voice Actors By Voice Over Category | Voices.com

Under 'Explore by Category' you can find demos and bios. The bios may include the mic(s) and other gear the VO artist is using. Might be able to get an idea what a mic may sound like for different genres of VO with female voices. Some mics used aren't particularly high end. You can also do a search for mics which will show up if they are in the bios. '416' gets alot of hits in a search.

Female demos using a '103'.....
Tia Reiss |Voices.com
Robin LaRee Berry |Voices.com

Thats a good question. The answer is nothing and something.

We never knew that the interface can make a difference to a voice. We had the 2i2 and then purchased the Audient14 and there is a difference when using the same mic. So we ran the Rode shotgun mic through both and there was a difference there as well.

We looked what others were using and the people we looked at used the 103 and their work was quite varied. So we thought should we go down the same road.

When seeing mic comparisons the more expensive mics usually appear to give a softer sound than the cheaper ones.

Dunno but thats why I asked for others experience of the 103.

I have a friend or two that do VO work professionally. They both own a boatload of mics. They mostly use just a couple.

Mic choice is very dependent on the voice in question. One of them swears by Sennheiser MKH mics, fi. But that's only because they happen to suit his voice. The other one doesn't swear :D

And yes, different preamps will give a slightly different result. Some mics are sensitive to impedance. Some preamps have some eq, either by accident or by design.

I've stopped looking for the holy grail a long time ago. Preamps need to be as neutral as possible. EQ can be done in post. But that's me and I'm not a VO guy.

I think there's a certain discrepancy between the price and the quality of some mic brands. And the studio people I know seem to agree. A lot of studio's own some mics because their clients look for that expensive brand on the gear-list. Of course, that's a valid reason to have them. The customer is king, after all.

Both the TLM103 and the Audient are fine. But even the 2i2 is fine too.

I have been pleased with my initial experiences with the Lewitt LCT 540 Subzero, and it is about half the price of the Neumann. Recommended for VO, but I don't know how it would be for female voice.

Back