Neumann TLM 102

a.francis.1968

Hi, just purchased a Neumann TlM102 and was wondering while Im waiting for it to arrive what would be an inexpensive shock mount? I see it comes with a regular looking mount would this be any good in my home studio or should I go for something a bit more shock like? As soon as you type in Neumann on a search engine the cost doubles instantly for these items so thought id enquire within..

Hi,
Unless it's going to be mounted to the ceiling I'd use a shock mount. Even the slightest brush of a hand on the stand, or movement of feet near it, can translate to take-ruining booms.
A HPF can solve it most of the time but still...I'd shock mount anyway.

There are generic mounts on the cheap side and the expensive side but you could also find out the body diameter and get a match from some cheaper brand like, maybe, MXL or Rode?

I think it is compatible with the Sennheiser shock mount, but both of them are pricey for what you get. The one I bought looks like most shock mounts, but has a lower rail on one side, as the capsules of these mics are often quite low.

$139 just for a shock mount is crazy.

I'd definitely wait and see if its even needed.

Spider Shock Mount Microphone Mic Clip Holder For Neumann TLM 102 193 U87Ai U67= $19.95
Saw another for $49... are they any good I don't know.

Shure LDC's seem to charge a lot for the holders too, like the KSM 32 holder, so its not just Neumann.

As was suggested above, a few Rycotes in different sizes will accommodate everything except square microphones. But avoid the Rycotes that have the handy spring-loaded parts on it. Many mics will slip right out.

I had to go look because I was surprised it actually came without a shock mount, and see that the "studio set" version of that mic does come with a shock mount, with a $100 (sticker/street) price bump. I guess the lesson is that it might be the better buy, especially if you have an online vendor you routinely use that routinely gives you 10-15% off. Then you'll probably come out with a $100 (after taxes) mount.

If you're still in the return window, I'd call and ask for a good price on the $140 separate (Neumann) mount to make it about $100. If you can return the mic you've got, you should be able to swap it for the "studio set" and eat the 1-way shipping, i.e., probably less than the $40 difference, and the vendor would save having to sell the return as "open box" so I'd think they might work with you. (Not all vendors take back mics, though.)

When I bought mine from B&H, it said that it came with a shock mount, but it didn't. I noticed that there was a higher priced set with a shock mount, about $100 more.

so I see a used 102 with the spider mount on reverb, so if the EA4 spider is $139, swivel isSG2 $70.... the mic is only $240?!

my used KSM32 then at $300 - ($140 Spider, -47 swivel, -80 aluminum case) = about ~ $40 mic only.

it starts seeming like printer ink costing more than the printer. :wtf:

Back