Neumann KMS 105

Giganova

gimmi your mic!
I saw that a lot of top notch artists use the Neumann KMS 105 mic all the time (e.g., Norah Jones, Dave Mathews Band). Do you think they also record with that mic? Is it any good in the studio?

Sennheiser also converted that mic into a wireless system (SKM 5000 N), so I was wondering how it compares to other mics in the same price range. I'm asking coz I will be traveling to Germany next week and could get these mics much cheaper compared to the US. I've already bought a Sennheiser 441 for just 210 buxx (slightly used, though) and had it shipped to a friend in Germany where I will pick it up next week.

Make sure you test it first before commiting to buy it-unless you get it at a price where you can resell it to at least break even.
There are some singers where that mike doesn't work well on.
(per Scott Dorsey and others at rec.audio.pro)

Congrats on your 441!
Planning to get one too, down the road.

Chris

Speaking of Scott Dorsey. A couple of days ago I read on RAP that he thinks the KMS 105 is a very underrated microphone.

What I think is weird is that the KMS 105 is cheaper than a KM184 although the 184's construction looks much simpler. I wonder how the 105 would do on acoustic guitar and non-vocal applications.

hm, good point, Rossi. You are right that the KSM 184 is in fact much simpler (and smaller) but costs even more. It has been on the market for many many years so research & development costs can't be a factor.

I use a KSM 184 to record my tenor sax (and occasionally acoustic guitar) and it sounds absolutly wonderful. It can easily handle the enormous sound pressure produced by the sax and yet it captures all subtleties. I just ordered the Sennheiser 441 to record vocals and hope its a good mic for that. I was wondering, though, if the KMS 105 would have been a better choice, even though I've never heard that it is being used in a studio. Its hard getting started with the right colection of mics if you are on a tight budget *sigh*.

BTW: I just found an article where they describe the gear to record the Norah Jones album. Even though Norah Jones uses the 105 on stage, they used a Neumann M49 for her vocals and Neumann KM 84 (which is almost identical to the KSM 184 I believe) for the acoustic guitars. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.sorcerersound.com/norah2.htm

Part of her album was recorded at this gorgeous recording studio in upstate NY:

http://www.allairestudios.com

Check out the pix -- I am so jeleous! ;-)

P.S.: Rossi -- was machst Du denn in Saarbruecken?

Speaking of underrated...
Make sure to try out your Neumann KSM 184 for vocals too.
Seal has used the similar KM 84 for studio vocals.

Yeah, I read Scott's recent comment also on the KMS 105.

The lead vocal on Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" were cut with a 441.
Many singers like Stevie Nicks and Elton Joh have used it as a
stage mike, in addtion.

My main concern with supercardiod type mikes as a singer is how easy it is to have the sound suffer by being off-axis.
It takes better mike technique than using a SM57, let alone an
EV 635a (omni dynamic), or RE20 (variable D design), for example.
The Sennheiser 421 is also very forgiving with its wide cardiod pattern, relatively speaking-or singing!

Chris

Giganova said:
I saw that a lot of top notch artists use the Neumann KMS 105 mic all the time (e.g., Norah Jones, Dave Mathews Band). Do you think they also record with that mic?
I don't know for sure, but YOU can record with Norah's mic if it is your heart's desire.

CHECK IT OUT :D

Thanks for the Norah links. I think she's absolutely gorgeous and I love those recordings. I'm not surprised she didn't use the KMS105 in the studio. It's designed as a stage mic. But of course that doesn't mean it won't work in the studio as well. As far as I can see the KMS105 is the cheapest Neumann you can buy right now, so why not check it out? It seems to be a versatile mic; I've seen a lot of very different singers use it on stage from Norah Jones to Bryan Adams. It's also one of the very few true condenser stage mics.

What do I do in Saarbruecken? Well, right now I ought to work on my dissertation on Paul Auster. Instead I think about recording. Damn! How about yourself, Giganova? You live in PA, but you're German, right? Or do you run a secret studio in an Armish settlement? ;)

Re: Re: Neumann KMS 105

MrZekeMan said:
I don't know for sure, but YOU can record with Norah's mic if it is your heart's desire.

CHECK IT OUT :D
WOW! They must be nuts, starting bid at 2000 buxx for that mic with some of Norah's germs on it?? Hardly worth it ;-)

Rossi said:
What do I do in Saarbruecken? Well, right now I ought to work on my dissertation on Paul Auster. Instead I think about recording. Damn! How about yourself, Giganova? You live in PA, but you're German, right? Or do you run a secret studio in an Armish settlement? ;)
cool, Rossi! I work at PennState University, teaching and doing research in astrophysics. Don't tell anybody, I am embarrassed ;-) I came to the US 3 1/2 years ago and hope that I can stay. Amish country rocks! Actually, I think I have to stay anyway coz I am having too much recording gear that doesn't work with the European 220 V outlets. Good excuse?!

I like the Armish, too. I had a long conversation with an Armish guy on an Amtrack train quite a while ago. I like keeping things simple. On the other hand I love my recording equipment, so I can't really imagine living like them.

I think that Norah mic on ebay would be worth every penny, if you could find a way to clone a second Norah with cells found on that mic. Did I already mention that she's absolutely gorgeous? Rrrrr!

Last edited:
I am the FOH technician for a theatre tour in which we use 2 Neumann KMS 140 for the leadsinger. In front of stage, and one behind the grand piano. These are the precessors of the KMS105 (and 2,5 times expensive.) Though when these were produced it wasn;t such a mass productions so I beleive the difference in price compared to the 105 is not really defendable. But the 105 wasn't there yet simply put.

This mike is great, but I have to say I am not using it on a crowded popmusic stage, it is in an mostly acoustic instruments environment, and to make the circumstances even better, only theatre stages. So I guess these circumstances are just perfect for such a mike to be heard. And it sounds awefully good. Just remember not to use it to close, so you can get some air into the mike. I have used it sometimes on instruments but wasn't fully convinced. Too bad i haven't much reference material because the leadsinger is the only one getting to use these mics. We are afraid if others use them, stupid things like catching a cold might occur. This sounds stupid, but I've seen it happen many times, resulting in cancelled shows and a lot of crew out of work for a couple of days....

that's very interesting regarding the Neumann KMS140 mics (theater) and even the KM84 (e.g., Seal) for vocals! I think I'll try to get one KMS105 while I am in Germany just before the announced significant price increase. If I don't like it I can always seel it again in the US I guess.

Diana Krall, Tony Bennet, and a good number others are using that Neuman and it's predecessor live now. I think we would see a lot more people using it if the other mic companies were not supporting artists and tours.

One of the recent big TV shows with a lot of top talent used it in the wireless version for all but the one group that has a Shure deal. You can generally spot those acts by all one brand of mics on the stage regardless of application.

It's a very sensitive mic and I would suggest that the first time you try it on talent do not do what I did (in a practice) and leave the board unattended. A strong male lead stepped up close like I told him because of the low end roll off it has to reduce prox and belted out his first line. Well his eyes were bigger that a pair of 15" speakers. He then wanted to leave gain as was just to see how far back he had to get to match his 58's level, ended up about 6ft back.

BTW the fine mesh pop filter screen thats built into the mic seems to work real well. I first thought it was brag but so far I'm pleased with it.

I've liked its sound so far with my main use for it being that talent that will not settle for anything but a performance mic like the old SM58. I'm not going to go as far as to say it's the Neumann reputation sound but its up there. Test one somewhere for yourself you may love it or hate it, everyone has their own ear. When you do test it remember the recommended distance to source is 5cm as I recall because of the mics intended stage use.

Last edited:
Back