Neumann KMS 104/105 vs. AKG C 535 EB

Bob's Mods

Has anyone in HR land had the privilege/luck of comparing these two mics for vocals? I've got the venerated AKC C 535 EB that I use for my solo acoustic work and some recording. Its a mic I'm happy with. But I am also curious how it stacks up to the Neumann KMS 104 or 105 high end stage mics. Anyone do any work with both of these puppies?

Bob

I use Audix VX-10s which are more comparable to the Neumann. IMHO they are substantially better than the AKGs (which I also have). Smoother and clearer as vocal mics. I tend to use my AKGs as instrument mics now rather than for vocals, although they are otherwise very good at their price point for a performing condenser, as they are generally less than half the price of the Audix or Neumann.

Another mic to look at is the Audio Technica AE5400 which is also more comparable to the Neumann and Audix, but a bit cheaper. If you really want a bargain, look for the AT-4054 and 4055. They were the predecessor mics to the AE5400. One was rolled off (AT-4054) and one was flat (AT-4055). The AE5400 has, surprise, a roll off switch. All three mics are based on the AT-4050 capsule. Used, the AT-4054 and AT-4055 typically go for less than $140. There were a couple for sale on this board a couple months ago that went way cheaper than that. I have several of the 4054s and generally like them better than the AKGs for vocal duties.

I have a KMS 105 in the studio but haven't heard the C 535 so I guess that I can't really compare it to that. Nonetheless, a few days ago I used it to track some male vocals (with some resemblance to Bono (U2)) and it did an amazing job for that task; much "nicer" than my KSM-32 which is what I normally use (for lack of more options ;) )

In general, I far prefer the KMS105 to the C535 for vocals. The 535 is a bit on the bright side, and it can easily become sibilant with some vocalists. Sometimes it's the right choice, though - the extra brightness can benefit some particularly deep voices. For example, I used one to record Leon Redbone and it turned out to be a pretty good match.

But the KMS105 seems to be the right choice a lot more often.

I've got a 105 and I prefer it to any mic in that category. I'm generally not a Neumann fan either, but this one rocks...

I have been using my AKG C 535 for about 5 months now and it really does stand out for me. I still use my Shure Beta 57a and 58a plus 87a and they are all good in there own way.
The AKG C 535 really suits my vocals it gives it that edge almost a 3D sound.

I have 'nt tried the neuman I gathar it must also be brilliant for the price they are asking.

Dave

Back