Need recommendations for a new mic

Inonly

Hi, I am a beginner and I want to make music for fun and for the love also.
My goal is to be able to rap over an instrumental/beat or rap over my guitar instrumental and beatbox.

Which microphone would you guys recommend?
I have tried AT2020(xlr) and Blue Yeti Pro and I wasn't really satisfied with the recordings (maybe I just suck lol).

My budget is around 200 dollars for the mic.

And for the preamp, I'm thinking of getting the M-audio Fast Track Pro because I've read some positive reviews on it. If you have other suggestions on the preamp, please let me know. Budget is around 200 on the preamp also.

Thanks.

I would also suggest looking at the new Sennheiser MK 4 - affordable, very good value for money and getting an excellent reputation.

sennheiser_mk4-500x500.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion John!
I've been searching for some and I've found Rode NT1-A and Behringer B-2 Pro.
B-2 Pro is the cheapest out of the three (including John's suggestion). I might just get that one.

Any insights on the mic? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: I found Samson C01U, a USB microphone. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Avoid USB mics like the plague. They're a dead end street and, because of the built in pre-amp and interface, are often not as good in quality as you can get with a proper external audio interface.

Now a question: what was it you didn't like about the AT2020? That might help us recommend a mic with different characteristics. The 2020 is a pretty reasonable performer for the money so it'll be interesting to hear what problems you had.

Avoid USB mics like the plague. They're a dead end street and, because of the built in pre-amp and interface, are often not as good in quality as you can get with a proper external audio interface.

Now a question: what was it you didn't like about the AT2020? That might help us recommend a mic with different characteristics. The 2020 is a pretty reasonable performer for the money so it'll be interesting to hear what problems you had.

There was some pretty loud hiss sounds even though the gain is only halfway. I used it with an Alesis io2 interface. I was thinking it's an interface problem, but then I saw some songs on youtube where they used the mic and I felt that the presence is lacking.

The Blue Yeti Pro was really quiet and I liked that, but the recording was "bassy" if you know what I mean. It sounds like the source is covered with a thick clothing. And I realized the price is too much for a USB mic.

I'm just looking for something quiet that can make the source sound natural with crispness. I heard a lot of good reviews from Rode NT1-A though. I might get that one if there's nothing else I can find.

Hello,

If you are planning to buy the M-audio fast track pro, forget about buying a USB mic; I have that interface and is just fantastic.

For the mic, I have the Shure SM58 which is also great Shure Americas | SM58 Vocal Microphone | Stage, Rugged, Touring

If you want to have a workhorse, just take a looka t this video... Shure SM58 - the world's toughest microphone? - YouTube

Hmm maybe I'll cop one of those since I think I'll be needing a condenser and a dynamic one. I've heard LOTS of positive stuffs from that mic too. Though it's kinda old, I heard it's still the ish.

I appreciate all the replies.

The Behringer is going to be far worse than the at or the yeti, if it was my money I'd go the rode or the sennheiser, problem is probably with the genre though, most ldc will be quite bright, forward sound, not much like what you would except from a rap/hip hop sound. So in that case something like a dynamic might add a bit more character and add to the mix your looking for.

However i could be completely wrong on what your looking for.

Quite likely.

Why? Get back to us in a couple of years about that decision.

Let me attempt an answer here. The OP said this about the sound he's after:

I'm just looking for something quiet that can make the source sound natural with crispness.

He also described the problem he had with the Blue Yeti was a lack of clarity--he mentioned it sounding like it was covered with clothes as I recall.

Dynamic mics are useful for all sorts of things--but I'd rarely describe their strengths as crispness and clarity.

So....maybe that's why his shortlist is condensers?

He also described the problem he had with the Blue Yeti was a lack of clarity--he mentioned it sounding like it was covered with clothes as I recall.

Dynamic mics are useful for all sorts of things--but I'd rarely describe their strengths as crispness and clarity.

ok.............

Thank you for understanding!

Then if a LDC is what you TRULY want and need at least start looking for one that is a multi pattern one and stop messing around.
The multi pattern LDC will be a work horse that will be great in a multitude of capturing scenarios!

LDCs with switchable patterns are nice to have--if your budget will stand it I suggest you look at the AKG C414XL II (with five patterns) or the SE3300a (with 3). Both are very nice sounding microphones.

However, as your application seems to very much one style of vocal, if you can't wear the budget for one of those, a standard cardioid would probably be most appropriate for you. My current favourite (that I've suggested before) is the SE2200a. If you can get a listen to one of those, I think you might like it.

Bob

Back