Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need a more sensitive mic for fingerstyle guitar

Thanks

need a more sensitive mic for fingerstyle guitar

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a sensitive mic for fingerstyle guitar. I currently own a pair of the MXL 603's. Would something like the Earthworks SRO be more sensitive than what i have now? What does one look for when determining mic sensitivity? See my thread titled "Need Preamp to Complement my Mbox" in The Rack section of the forum.

I am thinking for fingerstyle guitar i either need a more sensitive mic, more gain via an additional preamp, or both.

Here is a short sample i recorded. http://www.antonemery.com/breton.mp3

anton

Thanks

signal chain

By the way, the recording is a single 603 off the 10th fret about two feet away point down at a 45 degree angle or so. The gain on the Mbox is at the three o clock position, five o clock would be full.

anton

Thanks
    im no expert by any means

the recording doesnt sound that bad.... But it feels kinda hollow and empty..

i own a pair of 603's , they sound amazing when used in stereo recordings....

perhaps try using both 603's in a xy postioning as close as you can get, and perhaps a good condensor mic a foot in front of it or so as a room mic... and mix all that together..

Thanks
    You are right, it does sound empty. Thats exactly the impression i have been getting when listening back to my stuff. I guess perhaps i should try an omni, as i feel that i want to hear more of the room, or at least a bigger impression of the sound.

anton

Thanks
    Is there a noise problem with the existing combo?

Thanks
    not that i know of. My only problem is that the signal is just not strong enough, like i am not getting enough gain. i think perhaps another pre might fix that.

anton

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anton
    not that i know of. My only problem is that the signal is just not strong enough, like i am not getting enough gain. i think perhaps another pre might fix that.

anton
    Does that mean this is a tone or sound perspective issue (if the sig/noise is good)?

Thanks
    I agree with the earlier poster that mentioned no problems with a pair of 603s. Mine are plenty "sensitive" enough and make great acoustic recordings. I think other mics are going to give you a different flavor but not much of a stronger signal.

I would reccomentd you try a second 603s (I've seen a bunch go for as little as $50 recently) like reccomended above, and do some serious experimenting with placement. My setup can go from clipping to faint to sublime with a few inches here and there. My best results come from XY, I've tried to put one at the bridge and another at the 12th fret, and just using then as stereo room mics.

You mention wanting the room in there, but how nice is the sound in your room? My first inclination was to suggest treatment, and to move the mics/playing spot around to find the sweet spot in your room. In my (admittedly limited) experience, the way somehting sounds to your ears will not necessarily be how the mic picks it up, especially with condensors, where some degree of treatment can really make a big difference in reduccing the amount of ambiant room noise (often originating outside the room). While you work out the mic issues, i would try to emilinate the room, and add reverb via the mix. Try the old trick of putting the mic(s) in the closet (full of clothes) facing out and play at the closet. Compare that recording with your others and you should at least get a better idea of what you mic is capable of.

Daav

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit
    Does that mean this is a tone or sound perspective issue (if the sig/noise is good)?
    I guess its more of a sound prespective issue. The tone is fine, to me it just sounds like the listener is right up two inches from guitar. Here is a recording my buddy did with a Larrivee L-03R guitar, an Earthworks SRO into a Digitube Pre and direct into some sort of cd burner.

http://www.antonemery.com/3.mp3

This is more the sound i want. It sounds the listener is back a bit from the guitar, and to me sounds more natural.

anton

Thanks

your buddy's tune

Quote Originally Posted by anton
    Here is a recording my buddy did with a Larrivee L-03R guitar, an Earthworks SRO into a Digitube Pre and direct into some sort of cd burner.

http://www.antonemery.com/3.mp3

This is more the sound i want. It sounds the listener is back a bit from the guitar, and to me sounds more natural.

anton
    Your recording sounded good but it seems like he had a lot more gain than you did. You could hear some gain noise in his recording when he wasn't playing. It seems to me that your signal needs to be hotter. IMHO
    Last edited by ch2os7; 10-24-2005 at 15:02. Reason: ADDED COMMENT
    Lighten up!

Thread Information