Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need info regarding use of omni mics

Thanks

Exclamation

Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by omtayslick View Post
    Can omnis be used in XY configuration?
    If you want - but they will act like a single mic. at low frequencies and give you a little stereo spread at high frequencies. But this depends on what microphones you choose - a normal SDC omni acts like this (see polar-pattern below).

mkh20-p48_clockfacediagram-jpg

What are the differences between nearfield and diffuse field omnis?
    A nearfield omni will have a flat frequency response, a diffuse field omni will have a treble boost to compensate for the loss of high frequencies in the diffuse field.

See below (top is nearfield omni, bottom is diffuse field omni):-

nearfield-omni-pngdiffuse-field-omni-png

Do omni condensers and dynamics behave in the same manner?
    As regards the polar pattern - yes.

And please feel free to add any other words of wisdom regarding the use of omni mics.
    An omni is a pure pressure microphone and reacts only to changes in pressure (unlike a directional mic. that reacts to differences in pressure).

An omni mic. does not have any proximity effect and you get no bass tip-up as you get closer to the source as you do with a directional mic.

New Hampshire Lat/Lng: 42.8129750,-72.0248270
    Thanks
    omni microphones are omnious.
    ♫♪♫ I have a fever and the cure is cowbell ♫♪♫ .......... *LIVE FREE OR DIE* .......... ♫ I'm all ears ♫

☼ Mucho Loco Henry Areebah! ☼

Any mic you buy will be perfectly suited to your needs, until you use it long enough to learn that it's not.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to post your well thought out responses. All of my questions were answered fully.

The Sennheiser Md211u mic that I mentioned is an exceptional dynamic omni. Frequency response from 30 to 20K. Amazing clarity, and sweet sounding. Since I have been using it I don't even need to touch the EQ. These mics are discontinued, made in the 70's I think, and not very common. But if you ever get a chance to try one, do so. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    Tom

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post your well thought out responses. All of my questions were answered fully.

The Sennheiser Md211u mic that I mentioned is an exceptional dynamic omni. Frequency response from 30 to 20K. Amazing clarity, and sweet sounding. Since I have been using it I don't even need to touch the EQ. These mics are discontinued, made in the 70's I think, and not very common. But if you ever get a chance to try one, do so. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
    The MD 211U is certainly an exceptional mic.

But take care, don't drop it, the diaphragm is very close to the front end and dropping it can easily damage it.

You can download the PDF of the Owners Manual HERE.

Thanks
    Since it seems that the OPs original questions have been answered, I'd like to pose a related one of my own: Do dual-diagrahm omnis have the same "neutral" off axis response as single diaphragm ones? If not, how much do they differ (in general, of course) and what benefits might there be to a dual diaphragm omni, of there are any at all?
    Usually posted from my cellphone telephone.

"What you did wrong is assume that because you read it on the internet it's not a stupid idea." - bouldersoundguy

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
    Since it seems that the OPs original questions have been answered, I'd like to pose a related one of my own: Do dual-diagrahm omnis have the same "neutral" off axis response as single diaphragm ones? If not, how much do they differ (in general, of course) and what benefits might there be to a dual diaphragm omni, of there are any at all?
    It depends on what you mean by a "dual-diaphragm omni"?

If you mean making an omni by back-to-back cardioids as in a switchable-pattern mic. The answer is no as the single diaphragm one is much better in both frequency response and polar-pattern.

Sennheiser MKH 20:-
    mkh20-p48_clockfacediagram-jpg
    mkh20-p48_frequencyresponse-jpg

Sennheiser MKH 800 in omni:-
    screen-shot-2011-12-21-12-06-44-jpg

Please note that the MKH 20 frequency response is only drawn to 20kHz - the MKH 800 response is drawn to 50kHz - so for a meaningful comparison you should only use the 800 response below 20kHz.

Please also bare in mind that the MKH 800 is more than double the price of the MKH 20 - you can see clearly that the frequency response is not so smooth and the off-axis response is very different. And the MKH 800 is technically about the best dual-diaphragm mic. on the market when it comes to frequency response and polar-pattern, others would be a lot worse in this respect.

However, of you are talking about a dual-diaphragm mic. like the new DPA, where they use two small omni capsules wired together to give a higher output and lower noise - then it would be similar to a single diaphragm omni. Unfortunately DPA do not publish the polar-pattern so I can't link to it.

Thread Information