[SOLVED] Need to figure out a setup for a Blue Yeti

A. K.

I'm looking to make a small recording setup in my room, and need some help figuring out what kind of setup should I get.

I have a Blue Yeti, and I'm thinking of getting a boom arm, because I want to mount the setup from a table, kind of the only viable choice, as to not take up too much space in the room. What should I look for in them?
Also I would be getting an isolation shield, and have not too much of an idea what to look for.
Also, a pop filter. My producer buddy has a double layer pop filter, and I'm wondering, if that's something that makes a huge difference.
Also, should I be looking into getting a shockmount?

Pretty much the question for all these things, is what is too much? As I would be doing (at least for now) amateur recordings. How much investing is worth it? How do I figure out what I truly need and don't?

Excuse me for my ignorance on these things, I'm quite fresh in this field.

I guess the question is, is it just a "real estate" problem, or are there noises in your recordings (e.g., keyboard sounds, vocal "plosives" et al) that you are trying to address?

It's not a bad idea, as you've probably seen. Mounting a large-ish condenser microphone on a boom with a suspension mount and pop filter is fairly common - the pieces are often sold together as a kit with the mic, in fact (and a lot of LDC mics simply come with a suspension mount). It's obvious the Yeti is primarily designed for desktop usage, so you're not likely to be right on top of it, and maybe it's not as much of an issue with that mic? (If you have the USB version, will you really be able to move it significantly distant from any noise sources, if that's the issue now?)

Well, the main thing I'm trying to address is to get a cleaner vocal recording in. The boom arm would not be just for moving it away from other noise sources, it would make it more acessible, as the room has a rather 'peculiar' layout :D Probably the biggest question I'm facing is do I really need a shockmount? It seems to be kind of a high end improvement, if you have everything else on point and you just want to make it perfect.
And still, the other questions remain: Single/double layer pop filter? What type of isolation shield?

Well, the main thing I'm trying to address is to get a cleaner vocal recording in. The boom arm would not be just for moving it away from other noise sources, it would make it more acessible, as the room has a rather 'peculiar' layout :D Probably the biggest question I'm facing is do I really need a shockmount? It seems to be kind of a high end improvement, if you have everything else on point and you just want to make it perfect.
And still, the other questions remain: Single/double layer pop filter? What type of isolation shield?
A boom is about the only way to be able to place a microphone where it needs to be, and you only get there by experimenting.

Not sure how you'd attach a Yeti without a shockmount (from Blue, I presume). Does it come with anything other than the desk stand? If so, try it without the shockmount and see if noises are coming through (typically rumble and foot tapping kinds of things that traverse up through the stand).

I'm completely satisfied with a single, metal popscreen, but it wasn't the cheapest one I could buy. I've got a cheap nylon one on the floor (waiting for inspiration on how to fix it) - I got used that no longer holds its position, so I wouldn't really cheap out if you're going to be moving and adjusting a lot.

It's pretty easy to get into a mode of buying stuff and hoping it fixes a problem. It's going to be really helpful, and less expensive, if you can work on listening critically to identify the things in your vocal tracking that are "un-clean" and figure out how they're getting in, and then what can be done to fix the problem. A lot, honestly, is mic placement and technique. I wouldn't work without a pop screen when I have one, but you can manage plosives quite a lot if you become aware of them, and work the mic and your breath.

Back