Need drum overheads.

marvinisbass

I need a couple of overhead condensor microphones for getting the hats, a ride and two crashes. The guy at my local "pro" music store wanted to sell me a pair of Audio-Technica mics at about $400 Canadain each. They look really cool and he said lots of "guys" (pros?) use them. I don't know shit about mics so any input will be appreciated.

ditto the MK012's. But you could also look at a ton of other options - the Shure SM81's, the MXL 603's, the AT 4040's, 4033's, the Rode NTK's, and a host of others.

What's your budget, what's your goal, what are currently working with and what kind of options are available to you?

jacob

In order, from lowest price to highest price:

MXL 603s
Octava MC012 (if you can find matched ones)
AKG Pro37 (much underrated)
AKG Blue Line Series (trust me)
AKG c451b
Groove Tubes GT40 (improved version of the GT44's that have been raved about as overheads over at gearslutz.com)
AKG C414eb (the old silver ones with the c12 capsule)
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 - What I use 99% of the time...they are amazing

tourettes5139 said:
Not to nitpick, but the Pro 37's are Audio Technica, not AKG. :D

Yes, and I've used them as well - they do very well as overheads, but like them better as spot mics (like as a hat or ride mic), and I use them under the snare as well and LOVE the result. However, noticing that someone mentioned the MC012, I don't know if you're meaning the russian or chinese version, but the Russian mics I have blow the pro37r's away in my opinion as general overheads. PLus they're phenominal on acoustic guitars...

jacob

Back