Narrowing down first mic purchase

Kefka-X

I recently decided to start recording some songs, and to try and keep purchases simple, so as not to delay things unnecessarily.
All I need to record (and all I have to record) is my voice and my acoustic guitar. So I decided on a Tascam 424MkIII 4-Track and a simple but appropriate microphone.
I bought some Shure E3c earphones not so long ago, and was quite pleased with them. At the time, I kept hearing about how Shure are well-known for their quality microphones, so I decided I'd stick to Shure for my mic.
I checked through zzounds.com, and it came down to SM58LC/SM57LC/Beta 58a. Since I can afford it, I decided to go for the Beta 58a. But then I began to think that the SM57, despite the $70 drop in price, may be more appropriate for my needs. Especially since checking this page: http://www.shure.com/microphones/models/beta58a.asp
Which gives me the impression the 58a is specifically a vocal mic.
I get the impression from a couple of things I've read on this board that supercardioid tends to mean it doesn't pick up as much "ambient" noise. While that may make it ideal for live use, would it still be preferable for home recording? My room's essentially silent, assuming the computer is turned off. But it may also be a factor that the acoustics in my room aren't that good.

All I'm really asking is, though, between the SM58LC/SM57LC/Beta 58a - what do you think would be the best microphone for my needs?

It's hard to pick one mic, ( you can never have to many...) but if you HAD to pick one, just about any of the Shure models would be a good bet. I like condensers for recording guitar tracks, and "large diaphram condensers" for vocals. Good luck.

Shure SM57 or 58 is a great all rounder to get started with. I have loads of mics in my collection, but the shure Sm57/58's always seem to be the mic I reach for most often. The only thing I tend never to use it for is female vocals, where I always go for my Nuemann. Again, carefull use of a mic, and a good mic pre-amp can work wonders even with budget gear. If you want to spend more check out some of the new SE Electronics mics, all made in China but bloody good value. See this months Sound on Sound - interesting article about far-east mics production.

studio projects
as high on the food chain as you can get
I got a hold of one to try this weekend and it really was amazing!
I have over $3000 of Middle road stuff (at, sennheiser, ev, rode, akg, blue) the c-1 wsa right up there on most sources (especially vox)
In His Name
BK
P.S. Prior to trying one, I really didn't believe anybody either, so .....try one!

With almost nothing to back this up besides my home recording efforts I would say that if I could only buy one mic (of the ones you discussed) I would buy the Beta 57. I now have three SM57's and two Beta57's and while the SM57's get used a lot more (drum micing, guitar amps) the Beta 57 is a little nicer on voice and seems fuller on acoustic guitar.

I am far from an expert, but as a guy who was where you are not too long ago, I thought I would toss in $0.02

Hope this helps, feel free to hit me with any other questions. I also have a few studio projects mics and some oktavas which have all served me very well.

Jim

I would say the 57 would be a bad choice because he says he is only recording acoustic and vocal. Given those options I say get a SP B1. The 57 sounds like ass on acoustic.

Thank you all very much for your advice.

I left out the Shure Beta 57 before because I missed it when searching through the list of Shure microphones on zzounds.
From what I've been told, I don't doubt that there are much higher quality condenser microphones I can buy for a couple of hundred dollars more, but since the 4-Track alone has already set me back quite a bit...
I've decided I'll go the safest route and buy a Shure Beta 57A. It seems like a good microphone to start off with, and if I end up wanting something more, I can always buy another microphone later. In other words, when I can afford it :)

Once again, thanks for your advice.

DJL said:
The SM57 never sucks. :)
You, on the other hand, always suck.

The 57 sucks on acoustic, shaker, tamborine, kick, cymbals, and strings. About the only thing it doesn't suck on is guitar amp and snare.

cominginsecond said:
You, on the other hand, always suck.

The 57 sucks on acoustic, shaker, tamborine, kick, cymbals, and strings. About the only thing it doesn't suck on is guitar amp and snare.

If that's what you're finding, OK.
But maybe you're not running it through the righ pre-amp. ;)
Of course... upgrading your pre, in order to really hear the 57, may not be the most cost effective route.
But I was amazed when I used it with an API

But, of the 3 he listed, and for a FIRST mic, I still say get the 57.

Michael Jones said:
But maybe you're not running it through the righ pre-amp. ;)
Of course... upgrading your pre, in order to really hear the 57, may not be the most cost effective route.
Yeah, I think that's what it comes down to for me.

I have one 57 and I use it religiously on snare and sometimes on amp. That's it. I am not a huge fan of the 57. It's a specialty mic, IMO.

After dealing with DJL, I am so happy to just be able to disagree civilly. Thank you Michael.

Back