Nady Mics

Nick The Man

Nady Mics do they suck? i actually have one of their cm-88's and my friend has a shure 57 and we tested everything about them and they ended up sounding the same ..... i dont know about the SPL though but hell cm-88's are half the price

Generally, Nady seems looked down upon from what I can tell.
I've got two CM-88's as well. Not bad since I don't have anything else to compare to!

I've got the 7 piece drum mic kit. It's got the DM70(snare,tom), DM80(kick) and CM88(overhead). They all do a pretty good job of capturing the kit. I've used the DM70 on vocals and guitar cabs with decent results. The DM80 works on bass cabs as well, and the CM88 can get a good vocal sound.
I've recorded a few bands using just those mic and my Fostex VF160 with no complaints.
I've also got a Shure SM57. Can't say it does any "better", just different.

Nady's generally considered hit or miss. Quality control issues have dogged them, but if you get a good one - it's a good one. I have a TCM1050 tube mic and my friend is a Nady dealer. We opened a few boxes and we found one with a microphonic tube, but they all generally sounded the same. Pretty decent for the money.

I put a NOS GE 5 Star 6072 in mine and found that it improved the performance of the mic. It was certainly quieter and smoother. We prefered the sound of the Nady on a male vocal over a Lawson U47 copy. It was not as open sounding or complex as the Lawson, but it had a warmth that the song needed.

Back