mystery mic

aprilchangedme

hey everyone. I currently only have two mics. one is a "PROformance p610 cardoid lo z dynamic" and the other doesnt have any markings. The first mic has the round top and the second has a flat top, but sounds muffled when i record with it. I kind of just inherited thise mics...but from the info on the first one, can anyone tell me about what it should and shouldnt be good for? thanks alot! -sean

aprilchangedme said:
hey everyone. I currently only have two mics. one is a "PROformance p610 cardoid lo z dynamic" and the other doesnt have any markings. The first mic has the round top and the second has a flat top, but sounds muffled when i record with it. I kind of just inherited thise mics...but from the info on the first one, can anyone tell me about what it should and shouldnt be good for? thanks alot! -sean

What's the make and model numbers of the mics?

http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/p610.html

Audio-Technica is a fairly respected brand. it is pretty clear from the price that this is a very low-end mic intended primarily for public address systems. The presence of a switch also gives a clue to this. The published frequency response of 100-15000 hz is narrow but within the range of spoken voice. If you had a midrange voice you might be able to record singing with it but I am guessing that for a $99 msrp and a $49 street price you are not going to get a very nice tone out of it in any musical recording.

Dynamics are known for being very durable and able to be handheld without unacceptable noise. The cardoid in the description means that it will pick up sounds directly in front of it the best, will pick up some sounds from the sides and will pick up little to no sound from the rear.

thanks alot. I think i have let the conveinience of this forum has take over my ability to google my problems out. thanks for shining some light.

aprilchangedme said:
I think i have let the conveinience of this forum has take over my ability to google my problems out.

We have a believer! Now go and tell the newbies about your revelation! It's an important one!

Back