my se electronics z5600a

Melsi

Padawan
Just got it this morning, and im doing a recording session with a vocalist thats coming over in a couple of hours we are doing a cover of the song maybe its time which is from the west end show "Caberet" also sung by Liza Minelli.

So just setting everything up now i will let you now how it sounds and post a preview once i have mixed and mastered it!

Peace

this is what i recorded a couple of hours ago with the new mic, not mastered yet, but sounds ok still need to do some more experimenting with it.

Check it out:

Hmmm dunno....it sounded a but excessively bright on my end. I didn't expect that from that model of mic. Wonder why?

You say you just received the mic today and used it today.
Did you let the tube "burn in" for a time before you recorded?
If so, how long?

homestudioguy said:
You say you just received the mic today and used it today.
Did you let the tube "burn in" for a time before you recorded?
If so, how long?

...or even better, if you decide to keep the mic, upgrade the Chinese tube to a NOS GE 6072...definately takes the "edge" off the high end...

are you supposed to let new tubes in mics burn in (if so, how long)? i only ask because i just got my cad trion 8000 today....

thanks.

photoresistor said:
are you supposed to let new tubes in mics burn in (if so, how long)? i only ask because i just got my cad trion 8000 today....
thanks.
Check the CAD manual to be sure.
The Z5600A brochure suggests 30 minutes for a warm up before use but I believe I have read in here or elsewhere that 24 hours is a good first-time burn-in. I know my Z5600A sounded real bright and even kind of rough when I first turned it on but with a good burn-in it has since mellowed. It still has a bright hi-end but not a rough edged hi-end. The circuitry on the Z5600A is high voltage specific so I'm not sure a 6072 would be appropriate. Perhaps either another NOS 12AX7 or a 12AT7?

homestudioguy said:
The circuitry on the Z5600A is high voltage specific so I'm not sure a 6072 would be appropriate. Perhaps either another NOS 12AX7 or a 12AT7?

...the GE 5-Star NOS 6072 (Highgrade 12AY7) is appropriate in most mic applications as a replacement for the stock 12AT7 or 12AX7 tubes...the lower gain value (45 compared to the 12AT7's value of 60) and improved resistance to microphonics make it more desireable in microphone applications...I have upgraded all my stock microphone 12AT7 and 12AX7 tubes to 6072 variations with excellent results...the 6072 was the original stock tube used in many of the classic vintage tube mics (AKG C12 for one)...most of the current Chinese tube mics are essentially "cloned" from these same classic tube mic designs...the stock Chinese and Soviet 12AT7 tubes that are supplied with the newer mics are simply cheaper and more available than the 6072 variations...

homestudioguy said:
Check the CAD manual to be sure.
The Z5600A brochure suggests 30 minutes for a warm up before use but I believe I have read in here or elsewhere that 24 hours is a good first-time burn-in. I know my Z5600A sounded real bright and even kind of rough when I first turned it on but with a good burn-in it has since mellowed. It still has a bright hi-end but not a rough edged hi-end. The circuitry on the Z5600A is high voltage specific so I'm not sure a 6072 would be appropriate. Perhaps either another NOS 12AX7 or a 12AT7?

hmmm well the cad "manual" says nothing about a burn-in... maybe ill leave it on for a little while anyways (wouldnt hurt anything).

yeah i didnt know about the burn in either, maybe thats why it was so bright, we'll soon find out!

kidvybes said:
..the GE 5-Star NOS 6072 (Highgrade 12AY7) is appropriate in most mic applications as a replacement for the stock 12AT7 or 12AX7 tubes...the lower gain value (45 compared to the 12AT7's value of 60) and improved resistance to microphonics make it more desireable in microphone applications...I have upgraded all my stock microphone 12AT7 and 12AX7 tubes to 6072 variations with excellent results...the 6072 was the original stock tube used in many of the classic vintage tube mics (AKG C12 for one)...most of the current Chinese tube mics are essentially "cloned" from these same classic tube mic designs...the stock Chinese and Soviet 12AT7 tubes that are supplied with the newer mics are simply cheaper and more available than the 6072 variations...
Well kidvybes, I gotta hand it to you.....
I am working with sE to become a formal sE Dealer and in the sE material Bob Reardon has shared with me I have found the following:

Z5600A - $899 SRP
Tube condenser with 9 selectable polar patterns.
High-sensitivity with replaceable industry-standard 12AT7 valve.
Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Omni, & Figure 8.
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity: 14.1mV/Pa - 37± 1dB(0dB=1V/Pa 1000Hz)
Equivalent Noise Level 16dB(A weighted)
130dB max SPL, Impedance: ≤ 200Ω
Includes power supply, cable, shockmount and deluxe flight case.

Guess there will be some tubes added to my Christmas list!!! :D
FYI, the tube in my Z5600A is an sE branded tube....

homestudioguy said:
Guess there will be some tubes added to my Christmas list!!! :D
FYI, the tube in my Z5600A is an sE branded tube....

...yeah, I noticed that MXL and sE (among other Chinese manufacturers) have been putting their logo on the stock Chinese 12AT7/12AX7 tubes...my Cascade V55 Valve Mic (originally made for Cascade by sE) came with a vintage Mullard CV4024 (military grade 12AT7WA) which was unusual...I still found the 6072 to be a bit better as a replacement, although the Mullard was a nice stock tube...

...here's some links to earlier threads that discuss the various tube options you can choose from (the 6072 being the best choice IMHO):
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=206112
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=197271
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=193916&highlight=6072
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showt...om/bbs/showthread.php?t=109824&highlight=6072

kidvybes said:
...yeah, I noticed that MXL and sE (among other Chinese manufacturers) have been putting their logo on the stock Chinese 12AT7/12AX7 tubes...my Cascade V55 Valve Mic (originally made for Cascade by sE) came with a vintage Mullard CV4024 (military grade 12AT7WA) which was unusual...I still found the 6072 to be a bit better as a replacement, although the Mullard was a nice stock tube...
Thanks, KV!

Back