my recording levels are too low - but i can't go any higher or parts clip. Compress?

wes480

Ok, I was doing some of my first recordings yesterday...after a lot of reading. WOW - this stuff is hard. I am using an aardvark Q10 ,and pretty nice mics...

my problem is this, I was recording totally dry tracks into cooledit pro. with the aardvark it has the software mixer so you can see what levels it is getting. for example on drums...I had to get it to where the average recording level for the snare was like, halfway into green (like -12db or so i think)..just so the drummer wouldn't clip it on a loud part. The tracks turned out too low in volume..and lifeless.

I know compression could solve this - my problem is...with only software compression...I still end up with a dull dry track? So, I could get an RNC, and run the snare mic into that first...before going into the Aardvark? And then i could get a good -1db or so signal...constant...is this the best way to do it - is there a way to do that with only software? or will i have to get an external box?

Another problem with that is, for the whole drumset...I would then want to get like at least 3 RNCs...getting expensive...seems like there should be a better way. or if my tracks are good enough, is recording at -12db ok...and I can bring the level up later cleanly in software compression? Without it starting to sound like tape.

I am a real newbie....everytime i have messed with compression...i end up with a bunch of noise.

thanks guys
-wes

Wes you are exactly right. Record it without hardware compression and as long as it doesn't clip you'll be able to use software as compression later. Maybe even with better results. Thats how I have been recording the whole time. Get the levels as close as you can without clipping, and the just record.

NOTICE: The drums aren't going to sound good yet. You'll have to do a little work to get them to sound good. I first gate out the bleed-over from the other drums (except on the overheads), compress them, and then EQ them. For snare I normally add reverb too. Toms can be tricky this way, but if you give them a few minutes you'll get something you like. I suggest "DbProComp." It is a nice compressor plugin. There is compression already in CoolEditPro, but I just have never used it.

I am going to post a link to a song that my band has pretty close to done. It is a rough mix. The snare is a bit back in the mix and some other minor mixing problems, but other than that you'll be able to hear the drum sound fine. Here's the link:

If the link doesn't work then paste it into your browser and it will. I am only going to leave the song up a couple days and then it will be taken down.

Let me know what you think
Beezoboy

Drums are the hardest thing to do at home and get pro results.

Compression can be very tricky at first. Read up on that because small changes can make big differences in the sound.

Gated Reverb is used for that 80's Phil Collins/Power Station "BIG" type of drum sounds.

You can put a touch of stereo delay on the high hat for that Peter Gabriel/U2 sound.

A little room reverb on the snare can help make it sound a little bigger.

You can also mix in sampled drum sounds to boost a weak kick or snare. Many audio programs will let use the actual drum tracks to trigger the midi samples.

Last edited:
get you a few Behringer Autocoms ($79 for 2 channel)...use it mosly for limiting, but it does do compression,gating.......you may only need it on the kick and snare...maybe toms if you mic them separate, and some people like to compress the hell out of overheads but thats a preferential thing.....

btw, you have a lot to learn about recording...dont take that as an insult...i have alot to learn to.....

forone, you have to get the drummer (is it u?) playing more consistant..have him play a minute while you monitor him and get it better than -12 to start with......if you use a limiter like the Autocom that will catch a few peaks that he overshoots, but youll have a good hot track....

start to sound like tape?...sounding like tape is a good thing where i come from.....

also the Q10 has channel inserts so you could use one compressor for it all.....

thanks for all the help guys.

Gidge - Yeah someone else reccomended the "Behringer Composer" - maybe the same thing as the AutoCom? that looks like a good option for me.

Yes, so much to learn. More consistent drum tracks is definately something I am going to have to work with. (No, I am not the drummer...btw).

As far as channel inserts - what does that mean exactly? I know the Q10 has 4 of them...I was under the impression that I would only be able to use 1 channel insert for 1 channel. But, you are saying that I could use say 1 Behringer AutoCom, or 1 RNC...for 4-5 channels?

In that case...would it be realistic to think that the same settings (since the box can only be set one way..) would work on the snare, and the kick...at the same time?

thanks for the info, again

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36496&highlight=AutocomPro+difference

Autocom goes for $79 and Composer goes for $99.....

as far as the inserts, you could put something like the Autocom on inserts 1 and 2....from software, you could select which of the 8 inputs you want to go thru that effect and prob how much of it you want also.....on the Composer itlikes like you can set the L and R peak limiters individually so yes you could do 2 different settings........

Using 2 channels of compression for multiple drum mics sounds a little dodgy(but I could be wrong :) Usually the purpose of the compression on drum mics is to give you a little more isolation of that mic's recording. If you give them all the same compression than you lose the individual punch.

If you only have 2 channels of compression just use them on snare and kick for recording and leave the OH mics alone. Then after you mix the drums to 2 tracks compress them as a whole to tighten it up a bit.

Back