My Pawn shop finds....What do you think?

dreib

Managed to pick these up this weekend even though I had the wife and kids with me. I feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Oktiva 319--$60.00

Audix i5 ----$40.00

Mxl 2100--10.00 I packaged this one in with the i5..From what Ive read the mxl isnt very highly regarded,{obviuosly} but I gotta be able to use it for something?

Any input/advice on that one would be great before I make it a paper weight. When I did a test record it didnt sound completly awful I guess, but then again I dont own any real high end mics.

Thanks!

Same kudos on the Audix and Oktava.
Guess for $10. you came out alright with the MXL. Here is a small snippet from an other forum regarding the mod that can be done on it .....

Jonah:
I heard a rumer you can rewire a MXL 2001 to sound like a Neuman U87. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks guys!

Harvey Gerst:
I’d gladly pay a rewiring charge just to get a 2001 to sound like a “Mister Microphone”.

Michael Joly:
Harvey, is that like the Speak n’ Spell mod or do I have my circuits confused?

Marik:
I think you have heard something about David Royer mod. Well, if so I wouldn’t call it rewire—more like completely rebuilt. And yes, if you put in K87 capsule as well (it runs at around $400), there is chance that it will sound really very good, probably even with the same tonal balance… but different.

Guess for $10. you came out alright with the MXL. Here is a small snippet from an other forum regarding the mod that can be done on it .....

Jonah:
I heard a rumer you can rewire a MXL 2001 to sound like a Neuman U87. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks guys!

Harvey Gerst:
I’d gladly pay a rewiring charge just to get a 2001 to sound like a “Mister Microphone”.

Michael Joly:

Marik:
I think you have heard something about David Royer mod. Well, if so I wouldn’t call it rewire—more like completely rebuilt. And yes, if you put in K87 capsule as well (it runs at around $400), there is chance that it will sound really very good, probably even with the same tonal balance… but different.

Yea I read that article and a few others regarding the 2001. I have zero interest in modding it. I guess I'll just try it as a room mic or as a overhead unless someone here wants to buy it!?...make me an offer!

Jonah:

Harvey Gerst:

Michael Joly:

Marik:

Yea I read that article and a few others regarding the 2001. I have zero interest in modding it. I guess I'll just try it as a room mic or as a overhead unless someone here wants to buy it!?...make me an offer!

If you're interested in modding mics in general, but don't have much experience, then you need a guinea pig mic. You have it. I pretty much destroyed a 2001 (and a 990), and it was worth it.

oh, yes, and great deal on both the others.

Back