My New Purchase?!?

idoteech

I know it's a little to late :confused:, but after much research, I just purchased a:

SM7B and a Shure KSM27 for my studio.

Plans are to use the SM7B on vocals and the KSM27 on maybe background vocals and acoustic guitar.

Also in the process of buying a Presonus Eureka Pre-Amp for the SM7B (here it needs a lot of gain).

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Eva
www.ablazestudios.com

Plans are to use the SM7B on vocals and the KSM27 on maybe background vocals and acoustic guitar.
www.ablazestudios.com
sounds good to me -- the SM7B is great for home recording situations, because it both sounds very good and is "surgical", in that it doesn't pick up a lot of background noise. Even with my newbiness, I've found it difficult to get a bad track with the SM7B. Since you have a treated room (unlike me) you can likely get away with more sensitive mics, but I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I haven't used the KSM27, but have heard good things about it.

I also haven't used that preamp (I have used a low end presonus interface that I thought was pretty good) - as for the gain, yes, the SM7B does not have a very hot output (one of its strengths, based on what I just said above), but remember that since you're probably making digital recordings (?) you don't need or even want very loud tracks, since you can boost the gain digitally, and digital summing will also increase the gain of the overall package whether you like or not. If you're recording to tape, then it may be more of a challenge.

Back