My husband is going to kill me, please help!

Crap Balls!

Hello; I'm new here.

I joined because I've accidentally broken my husband's Rode microphone and want to know if I can fix it or if I have to buy a new one...

What happened:
I was in the spare room (his studio) because I needed something from one of the boxes in there. I moved his microphone and accidentally dropped it and now the top bit that you sing into is somewhat bent. I don't know if the mic still works or not and don't know how to test it. I need to either fix or replace it before the weekend when he gets back from work or he's going to get very angry with me.

Its a Rode NT2-A (I think from looking at pics online) if that helps? Can I fix it? Not necessarily me fix it but can it be fixed or would it be cheaper to just buy a new mic?

Thank you all.

Hello; I'm new here.

I joined because I've accidentally broken my husband's Rode microphone and want to know if I can fix it or if I have to buy a new one...

What happened:
I was in the spare room (his studio) because I needed something from one of the boxes in there. I moved his microphone and accidentally dropped it and now the top bit that you sing into is somewhat bent. I don't know if the mic still works or not and don't know how to test it. I need to either fix or replace it before the weekend when he gets back from work or he's going to get very angry with me.

Its a Rode NT2-A (I think from looking at pics online) if that helps? Can I fix it? Not necessarily me fix it but can it be fixed or would it be cheaper to just buy a new mic?

Thank you all.

If your husband is going to kill you, then calling the police in your local area is probably your best bet. But you won't, because you love the brute, so...

After he kills you, he'll probably discover that the microphone still works fine. They're pretty tough, Rode microphones. I mean, singers use them, and they're as clumsy as hell. They do too much coke and drink straight spirits and lurch all over the joint. Absolutely not to be trusted around equipment. Not to mention the random gesticulations when they're actually singing/caterwauling. High risk of knockage, right there. Mics are tough.

Unless you know how to power up his recording studio, find his DAW software, flick the phantom power switch on the interface, arm a track and go "Testing, testing.... 1,2" into the mic, you won't be able to work out if it works or not.

He should know, the big lovable lunk, that if you leave stuff out, stuff is going to happen to it. He absolutely should know this. So don't feel too bad. It was his fault.

I'm sure he'll miss you terribly, but he'll know better with his next wife.

Once he's out of jail.;)

He'll know if you buy him a new one, because it won't be dusty and dirty like his old one (because he leaves it out). Just tell him what happened. And tell him to put his stuff away when he's done with it or accidents will happen.

It'll probably still work. Just fess up and have him test it. Then, if it does work, he'll think of you every time he uses it.

But, yeah, if you're a little worried, you might check into a motel and just leave a note to meet in a public place once he's settled down. Then you can discuss how to move forward from this incident ;).

P.S. If you do buy a new one, or something like it - always call the folks at Musicians' Friend, whatever, and ask for the best price. You should be able to get at least 15% off the "sticker" price on the web.

if he has any sense he'll just look at it as a satisfactory reason to buy a new mic.

That's what I'd do

Just tell him, things get broken. Now if it was a vintage AKG C12?

Rode have a good repair system in place.

Alan.

I'd pack up and leave the country. Leave him a note on how you found out about his cheating ways.
Tell him the next time he hears from you will be via the divorce atty, and you will be pushing for alimony. (And the house)

Oh, in the future, don't remarry. (You'll lose your alimony)
A boyfriend is fine, but make sure he has no interest in music!

Musicians are nothing but trouble.

Good luck to you.
:D

I'd go back into the studio and rig it in the same place as it was - is it on a boom stand? If so, just loosen the tightener slightly and make sure the damaged bit comes into contact with some object that could have bent it. He'll walk in, see the mic stand has slipped - they do that when you forget to tighten them, and the mic swung down during his absence and dinged on that badly placed combo amp, or forgotten flight case, or waste paper bin ......... He will curse and moan but when he tests it, all will be fine and he just has a dent. I've damaged loads of mics - including my AKG 414 when a stand suddenly slips. It happens a lot. He won't know you did it, and if he says (worst case), the mics broken - you be supportive and tell him to use the holiday money to buy a new one. 100% win situation.

you have had some great advise from forum members here on what to do.PLEASE keep us updated on what happened.If we do not here from you i will presume you are

Raid the place and make it look like you've been burglarized, then you can send the mic to one of us. We'll never tell and always keep it safe. Of course what the rest of us studio pros would do is loosen the mount so when he reaches for it, it falls. When I first started touring I wasn't used to in ear monitors and walked off with them still hooked into an aviom. Switched it after the show in the guitar players spot since it belonged to the venue. Those are the things you gotta think of!

Back