My £50 modded mic vs Neumann U87ai for vocals

Which would you choose for vocals?

• Mic 1

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Mic 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jeffrey teruel

I'm hoping to get some feedback for some research into mic mods at University of Salford. In trying to keep this simple and fair, I'm doing this as a blind test with mic 1 and mic 2. Which would you choose for vocals, Mic 1 or 2?

(note... I chose the U87ai as it is an industry standard)

I appreciate any and all your feedback.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Attachments

• MXL VS NEUMANN.mp3
    3.7 MB · Views: 28
On my computer speakers it seems like #1 has more air to it. I'll have to listen better later, then I'll vote.

I like #1 more. But... do you think you could record many tracks with the mics? Cheap mics can contend with their expensive counterparts when it involves one track. It's when you start stacking the tracks that you can tell a bigger difference.

Cheap mics can contend with their expensive counterparts when it involves one track. It's when you start stacking the tracks that you can tell a bigger difference.
I've read this from so many members on this particular site and I have to say that it is about the best piece of advice one could give with regards to budget microphones.
One track using a low cost mic may sound crisp, bright or sparkling but take the same mic and use it on all of your tracks and things begin to feel a little off.
It's always good to have choices but any time you can add one of the more expensive mics to your cabinet, go for it.
They cost more for a reason.

I like #1 more. But... do you think you could record many tracks with the mics? Cheap mics can contend with their expensive counterparts when it involves one track. It's when you start stacking the tracks that you can tell a bigger difference.

I haven't had the time to compare this on any other sources and have actually dropped the noise level on my modded mic and have done more basket modification since these recordings were made. Shame that I won't have time to do anymore controlled comparison before this research paper will be completed (2 weeks from now).

That may be an interesting thing to try later just to hear what happens =)

I've read this from so many members on this particular site and I have to say that it is about the best piece of advice one could give with regards to budget microphones.
One track using a low cost mic may sound crisp, bright or sparkling but take the same mic and use it on all of your tracks and things begin to feel a little off.
It's always good to have choices but any time you can add one of the more expensive mics to your cabinet, go for it.
They cost more for a reason.

Hi Jim,

I'm just curious if you speak from experience or hearsay on these post. This research has really opened my eyes to what these mic modders are doing. This is my first and will be the first of many, as I was amazed at the results. I have heard a lot of things "said" but I'm curious to know how many people actually took the time to search for these answers and how many people are happy to echo popular thoughts.

Not to say that you're right or wrong... just curious =)

Jeffrey

1 is darker, 2 is brighter - especially noticeable on the male voice. 2 also hs a touch of sibilance coming through (slight).
As said before the true test is in a mix with either more vocals and or instruments. But I think that the two mics both have a good sound.
I would pic 2, as a single track, as my ME suggests mics that can cut through the mix....

Hi Jim,

I'm just curious if you speak from experience or hearsay on these post. This research has really opened my eyes to what these mic modders are doing. This is my first and will be the first of many, as I was amazed at the results. I have heard a lot of things "said" but I'm curious to know how many people actually took the time to search for these answers and how many people are happy to echo popular thoughts.

Not to say that you're right or wrong... just curious =)

Jeffrey
From experience, of course.
I think you'll find that pretty well anyone who offers an opinion about microphones on this forum, has taken the time to learn about different mics.
I started out with an AKG Perception mic then a couple of Behringer and Nady microphones.
Since then I have moved on to various other mics. AKG is still my favourite brand but the cost of one pencil mic that I use today would have paid for my whole locker back then.
Keep in mind that although personal preferrences with regards to microphones are entirely subjective. those who do offer their opinions have spent the money on and used the mics before passing judgement.
So "Yes" I know what I'm talking about but as someone else here told me YMMV.

I have had microphones modified for me and they are better for it.
I have started to modify some myself and have found that the headbasket modification is a major factor.
Then of course there is the tranny, caps and the element it's self ... but at that point wouldn't it be best to get the microphone the you are trying to emulate for the cost would be close?
I do it for the fun of accomplishment.

From experience, of course.
I think you'll find that pretty well anyone who offers an opinion about microphones on this forum, has taken the time to learn about different mics.
I started out with an AKG Perception mic then a couple of Behringer and Nady microphones.
Since then I have moved on to various other mics. AKG is still my favourite brand but the cost of one pencil mic that I use today would have paid for my whole locker back then.
Keep in mind that although personal preferrences with regards to microphones are entirely subjective. those who do offer their opinions have spent the money on and used the mics before passing judgement.
So "Yes" I know what I'm talking about but as someone else here told me YMMV.

Which mic mods have you done, had done or worked with?

I have had no mic mods.
Funnily enough Henry just pointed out why.
I'd sooner buy the actual mic and that's what I do.
None of my comments so far have been about mods.
I have simply agreed with the advice of another poster.
Are you done?

Slight preference for #2 on the chick, but slight. Really, none of the above is the right option for her, I'd need massive EQ to use either of those mics. I can't even listen to the male vocal, sorry, I don't like the style. His phrasing on the word "bad" is worthy of a beating. Again, lots of EQ to fix that. Yikes, I think Mr. Joly has gotten to me--maybe these guys/gals need K47 capsules . . . or maybe that was what you did in your MXL mod, heh :D

My preference in a mic mod test is to include the unmodded mic as well, otherwise what are we saying? I dunno . . .

...Yikes, I think Mr. Joly has gotten to me--maybe these guys/gals need K47 capsules . . . or maybe that was what you did in your MXL mod, heh :D. . .

Not all K47-type capsules are equal. There are bargain basement, grey market K47 capsules - and there are a few designed, built and tested to deliver documented, exacting and consistent, world-class results.

So what did you think between the two? When I want to cut 3kHz by 5.5dB in one mic and 6dB in the other, it's hard to call a winner . . . although I've a feeling I would have switched the U87 to omni to firm up the 200Hz - 300Hz area which I thought was thin. Dunno if the MXL is multipattern . . . if not, then the U87 is win. If it is, then it's an MXL win because otherwise there's not enough difference to justify the price, use the savings to buy another mic with different voicing.

So what did you think between the two? When I want to cut 3kHz by 5.5dB in one mic and 6dB in the other, it's hard to call a winner . . . although I've a feeling I would have switched the U87 to omni to firm up the 200Hz - 300Hz area which I thought was thin. Dunno if the MXL is multipattern . . . if not, then the U87 is win. If it is, then it's an MXL win because otherwise there's not enough difference to justify the price, use the savings to buy another mic with different voicing.

Thanks for the feedback. It was never about which mic wins... The MXL is an old 1006 (cardioid) that I couldn't even sell.. yet these mods have made it difficult for most people to tell the difference between it and a U87ai.

Your ear is very sharp in defining a subtle difference. Still, I'm happy with the results of my very first mic mod. Not all of us can do what Michael Joly Does, but that doesn't mean that we can't play too! =)

The capsule I used was the RK-47 from Microphone-parts.com

I set out to up the quality of the sound of the microphone and have, but I'm still planning a few more mods.

Are you using pre-AKG production Neumann's?

Back