MXL990_SM58 test.....I think.

true-eurt

Maneater
Here is a test....I have never performed a test, so I am sure the embarrasment will subside soon. Yes, I have a deep voice. You can point and laugh all ya want. ;) The mp3 converter I have a trial with cut it off, so I hope there is enough there to hear the difference. I can. I am babbling too. I plead temporary insanity. I will do a better job next time....I think. I will maybe redo the test tomarrow and add some new sounds. :D

Oh yeah, and Travis, there is a little something special on there for you too.... :eek: :D :D :D Hey, I hope no one cares about my 1-900-BABE diddy. :eek:

I talk in a low tone and then I make some noises...then I bellow out some sounds...that is the loud stuff!!!

Warning !!! It goes from soft to exceedingly loud, without warning, so be aware !!!....I ain't kidding either!!!

Click on my SpankSHED sounds link in my signature and just click on the test ones.

true-eurt said:
Here is a test....I have never performed a test, so I am sure the embarrasment will subside soon. Yes, I have a deep voice. You can point and laugh all ya want. ;) The mp3 converter I have a trial with cut it off, so I hope there is enough there to hear the difference. I can. I am babbling too. I plead temporary insanity. I will do a better job next time....I think. I will maybe redo the test tomarrow and add some new sounds. :D

Oh yeah, and Travis, there is a little something special on there for you too.... :eek: :D :D :D Hey, I hope no one cares about my 1-900-BABE diddy. :eek:

I talk in a low tone and then I make some noises...then I bellow out some sounds...that is the loud stuff!!!

Warning !!! It goes from soft to exceedingly loud, without warning, so be aware !!!....I ain't kidding either!!!

Click on my SpankSHED sounds link in my signature and just click on the test ones.

Hey! :mad:
:)
Awesome singing True! I've always shied away from dynamics for vocals, but have been reading a lot about ones like the sm7, re20 and pr-40 (ad nauseum) on the boards these days. Those clips showed just how good a tried and (pun intended) true sm-58 can sound in the right hands.

trying to sneak it in late at night i see. :D

i did'nt actually think you'd do the 1-900 bit. rep! :D

is the 990 your first condensor mic? it was mine. sensitive little sucker ain't it? the first time i recorded with it, i hit the record button, walked across the room to where the mic was set up and did my track. at playback (headphones on) i heard the footsteps and freaked out thinking someone was walking behind me in my apartment. :D one of my finer dumbass moments.

anyway, i'd agree with what you said. the 990 can be pretty sibilant, especially compared to a sm58. it picks up alot of room sound compared to a sm58 also.

if you do another comparison, maybe setup both mics at the same time and sing some simple scales covering your vocal range. that would show alot of the differences in the two.

Well that's one source that makes the 990 sound good. So that was 1-990-BABE? Is it a 24 hr number?

Tim

kojdogg said:
Awesome singing True! I've always shied away from dynamics for vocals, but have been reading a lot about ones like the sm7, re20 and pr-40 (ad nauseum) on the boards these days. Those clips showed just how good a tried and (pun intended) true sm-58 can sound in the right hands.

i have to say, my voice sounds muffled and dead thru a sm58. that was'nt the case with your voice true. i guess it goes to show that a mic can give radically different results depending on the source.

it seems that i've already infected you with rep lately and must infect others before infecting you again true. implied rep!

TravisinFlorida said:
trying to sneak it in late at night i see. :D

i did'nt actually think you'd do the 1-900 bit. rep! :D

is the 990 your first condensor mic? it was mine. sensitive little sucker ain't it? the first time i recorded with it, i hit the record button, walked across the room to where the mic was set up and did my track. at playback (headphones on) i heard the footsteps and freaked out thinking someone was walking behind me in my apartment. :D one of my finer dumbass moments.

anyway, i'd agree with what you said. the 990 can be pretty sibilant, especially compared to a sm58. it picks up alot of room sound compared to a sm58 also.

if you do another comparison, maybe setup both mics at the same time and sing some simple scales covering your vocal range. that would show alot of the differences in the two.
LOL!!!

I couldn't resist. You are just lucky I deleted the first track I did. :eek:

Remember, I am trying to do the 1-900-BABE without my mom hearing me !!!

I am sure she now thinks her daughter is a pervert...well I am a pervert, but she isn't supposed to know !!!!

It is my first condensor mic and I freaked out when I first tried to use it!! I could hear the scratching sound of the material of my blouse on it as I moved !!! I have a very sibilant voice and breathy issues !!

The SM58 is really a nice little mic for the bucks and I have had good luck with it.

On the songs "Fire", "Awake", and "Deceptions" Choctaw used an SM57 for my vocals. I liked that mic too and could not tell a lot of difference between the 58 and the 57...perhaps the 58 is a bit more warm. :confused:

The MXL990 would seem to be a good mic for recording several back up singers...unless of course they all have to scratch or lick their lips at the same time. Also, the way I sing loud, it may come in handy for me standing off of the mic. I am going to play around with it more.

I have another cheapie mic I want to test too.

Thanks for listening Travis...and I'll be spanking you soon too.

kojdogg said:
Koj ! Thanks !! I was blessed with a loud mouth. No need for hearing aids... with me around...everyone shuts them off. :D

I do like the 58 a lot. I am getting this craving all of a sudden for mics. Like I need another source of GAS. Oh well, it seems a very interesting journey awaits me. Now all I need is a cash source to feed the monster.

Heheha, nice stuff, True! ;) :D

When I was first listening I was wondering "where is all that hiss coming from?" Then I remembered I had left the "comfort reverb" on from the session I had earlier today. Man, I'd forgotten how noisy my SPX-90 is!!!!

I have a 990... haven't sung with it but I'd think it would be at its best 2 or 3 feet away, and the 58 up pretty close. I thought the 990 captured your voice the best. The room will matter a lot with the mic a few feet away.

Tim

MadAudio said:
Heheha, nice stuff, True! ;) :D

When I was first listening I was wondering "where is all that hiss coming from?" Then I remembered I had left the "comfort reverb" on from the session I had earlier today. Man, I'd forgotten how noisy my SPX-90 is!!!!
Thanks Madz. It was my first mic test. You know how those first times go... ;)

:D :D :D Yah, but if you listen closely to the 990, you can hear me hissing and smacking my lips even!!! :eek:

Thanks for the listen. :)

Timothy Lawler said:
I have a 990... haven't sung with it but I'd think it would be at its best 2 or 3 feet away, and the 58 up pretty close. I thought the 990 captured your voice the best. The room will matter a lot with the mic a few feet away.

Tim
I think you are right Tim. I did like the reverby feel of the 990, and we all know how I feel about reverb! I was standing about 2 feet away, when I was speaking and 3 when singing. So for me, I may need to back of a bit more to cut the sibilance or perhaps try a different pop screen.

I am in a room aprox 12x15. I haven't measured. It is a guess and I am lousy with guessing size.

I stood the same distance with the 58 and never changed the volume setting.

Thanks for listening Tim. :)

wohhhhhhhh..........

i wish my name was travis:)

can't comment on the mics cause i would sound dumbererer.

but i do (hear)the dif between the two.

i record my voxs with a crappy smal diaphram condenser(behringer c-2) and i get the room sounds all over too. kinda fun! i can point it out my living room window and (hear) a convo across the parking lot.

---standing by for the 1-800number :)

Last edited:
yep, the 990 is definately the right mic for recording lip smacking. kind of makes you feel like some kind of lip smacking freak does'nt it?

If you can put up some reflection reducing material it'll help with the high frequency control. To get rid of the computer fan noise (sounds like that anyway) cover the computer with a big towel while tracking. Or better, put it in a closet.

I thought the 58 was great on your speaking voice but not as good as the 990 when singing, even with the bit of sibilance and room hiss.

Tim

turtlishous said:
wohhhhhhhh..........

i wish my name was travis:)

can't comment on the mics cause i would sound dumbererer.

but i do (hear)the dif between the two.

i record my voxs with a crappy smal diaphram condenser(behringer c-2) and i get the room sounds all over too. kinda fun! i can point it out my living room window and (hear) a convo across the parking lot.

---standing by for the 1-800number :)
LOL!! I will keep you in mind for the next test !! ;)

WOw, that is picking everything up. I didn't realize how the condensors were. Amazing to me.

Thanks for listening Turtlis!! :)

TravisinFlorida said:
yep, the 990 is definately the right mic for recording lip smacking. kind of makes you feel like some kind of lip smacking freak does'nt it?
Yah...I will have to remember to watch my lip moves... :D

I will also try a test as you suggested Travis.

Awesome voice.
I completely forgot, when I got my 990 about two weeks ago I did a test with an SM58 running simultaneously. Ah well.

Back