MXL 990 vs 603

To be honest... since you're new... I think it might be a good idea for you to pickup something like a used Korg PXR4 recorder... and just learn how to record right now. Learning on a little 4-track will teach you all the basics... and give you a good understanding of how multi-track recording works.

PS... get/read some good "how to" record books too.

DJL said:
To be honest... since you're new... I think it might be a good idea for you to pickup something like a used Korg PXR4 recorder... and just learn how to record right now. Learning on a little 4-track will teach you all the basics... and give you a good understanding of how multi-track recording works.

PS... get/read some good "how to" record books too.

I wouldn't start with a 4-track, mine always pissed me off so I never got anything done.

It's like comparing learning photography on a regular 35mm camera vs. a digital camera where you can see what your doing right there. Digital helps you learn faster with less complications.

used 35mm w/ some nice lenses is the way I went, actually a hand me down, but I had one nice fixed zoom lens and it was just about the coolest effect ever to have narrow field of focus and do some stuff w/ that. I know what I'm missing w/ dig. and at least w/ dig. when I go manual, I know what they're at least trying to emulate, sometimes it works...

patlang12 said:
I actually already have an mr8, but I want to record drums with more than 2 mics.

You could get a mixer with more inputs and have it setup like this:

Drum mics (4?) > Mixer > MR-8

The only disadvantage is that you have to have the drums mixed properly before you record since you can't change them later...

Sloan said:
You could get a mixer with more inputs and have it setup like this:

Drum mics (4?) > Mixer > MR-8

The only disadvantage is that you have to have the drums mixed properly before you record since you can't change them later...
Exactly That is why I am looking at other options because I want to be able to edit them after recording them.

Back