Mxl 770

blove

Sorry, I originally posted wrong place. Still trying to find my way around the forum.

Calling all Metal Heads! I know that mic's are personal preferrence but does anyone have any opinions on the MXL 770 for recording metal/thrash style voclas? Ive seen a few good reviews on them but wanted to ask you guys your opinion. Saw them on Amazon for around $70-80. Need something good for powerful, loud singing style. I just have a SM57 & 58 right now. Thanks for your input.

We worked with someone on some voice over work a few months back who used an MXL770. For me, the Rode NT1 blew it away with him trying both. The 770 had a high frequency hiss that was intrusive. In contrast, the NT1 was clear.

I would stick with the SMs if you're really belting out until you could get something better than the MXL770, not that I've got anything against MXL. I've got 4 myself, but the samples I've heard of that mic didn't impress me.

I agree. I would stick with the 58 for loud metal vocals. Or go with an SM7b if you can afford.

I have never had any luck with even NT1 for metal screamer guys. The SM7b or 58 on one occasion with a guy that liked to have a mic in his hand while he rolled around on the floor...

Had experience with the MXL770 years ago. Gave it away. Nothing good about that mic in IMO.

Back