MXL 603S, Presonus Blue Tube - low volume?

Postacaglivino

Hello all, first post, hope this is the right place. I'm absolutely not a tech person. Wanting to mic my guitar, for gypsy jazz rhythm practice. I have a MXL 603S, and presonus BlueTube DC. Even with gain cranked on both the pre-amp, and program (Cakewalk Music Creator), I am getting very little sound. Not to mention the crappy sound, with this much gain. I've played around with different positions (bridge/moustache, 12th fret, etc.), but none make much difference. And phantom power is on. Curiously, the setup picks up lead playing quite well - bright and nice. For some reason, chord playing sounds "far away," and really, too quiet to be much use.

Is this just a case of poor equipment? Or is there something obvious I'm missing?

Very much appreciated,

Paul

hi, (I don't know if this is the source of your problem, but) FWIW the first time I tried a condenser mic (a purchased used MXL603S) I failed to obtain any signal (or only heard a faint noise). Eventually I traced the problem to a bad cable (I was using an old XLR cable and apparently the shield--which is required as a return path for the phantom power to the microphone electronics--had gone open over the years (I did not notice the problem before since the other uses for the cable did not require the shield)).

8 times out of 10 If I ask the question back to a poster with this problem I find that they are not using an XLR to XLR cable -- are you?

Sorry guys, thank you for the reply, should have updated sooner. Problem seems solved. Mic inputs are both XLR. The presonus channel outputs is (2) TS 1/4" to a single mini into the computer, and I had it in the mic jack, for one, instead of "line in." After tweaking system levels, I am able to get a decent recording without depending on too much gain on either the presonus or Cakewalk.

Moresound, are you saying things would improve if I used XLR out from the Presonus, even if I had to join to to a single mini, for the computer?

Thanks again,

Paul

Nah, that won't matter.

It's critical to use xlr to xlr for condenser microphones as phantom power isn't available from any other socket, but between the interface and the computer the cable type isn't really going to matter as long as you have two cores and shield.

If you don't like how it's working now, a worthwhile upgrade would be a usb or firewire interface.

The computer line input may or may not work for you, but most people outgrow it pretty quickly.

No XLK to XLR from microphone to Presonus.

Wait ..... are you going into the computer through the mini microphone input? Go from the Presonus to the computer via USB!

Thanks guys. Yep, the presonus Bluetube DC has only XLR or 1/4" TS out, no USB or firewire. Right now, I'm simply using it to get some feedback on my gypsy jazz rhythm playing, and my wife, for keeping up her singing chops. But we will, I'm sure, be eventually looking for more.

Moresound, I'm not familiar with XLK - can you amplify a bit? Both mikes are XLR male out, and these go through XLR to the XLR female on the Presonus.

Is it me, or do you guys find USB finicky, as a general thing? I've had some issues with USB and my machine(s) not recognizing the external device, over the years....and never had a problem with firewire. Any recommendations on a Presonus firewire (pretty impressed with the price/value on their products, from what little I've experienced)?

I think he typod XLR.lol.

I often recommend the firestudio mobile. I have it and really really like it.
It's firewire, has two mic preamp and 4 more line inputs so you could actually plug your bluetube in to have four microphone preamps in total.
It's not too dear either. I think mine was £150.

Thanks, steenamaroo, was just looking at the Firestudio mobile. I'm seeing it in a package with headphones and 2 condenser mics, not sure on the quality of those mics, but hadn't even thought of hooking up the presonus to the Firestudio, for 4 mics...show's how tech-unsavvy I am. The package comes with Presonus Studio One Artist as well. Right now it's $500 U.S. If the mics are decent, (SD7 - don't know these at all), seems like a great deal; otherwise, will look into just the interface, which is looking more and more attractive, thanks again.

More - XLK, lol, thanks. You could have had some fun, to be honest, talking about it's virtues, and I wouldn't have a single clue....:laughings: Can you tell me, which Tascam device you're talking about?

edit: Looks like MF sells just the interface, for about $250, comes with Presonus Studio One. Seem like a good deal, esp. with the presonus Bluetube already on board...?

Great threads, thanks, more - learned stuff I didn't know, on other things as well (e.g., Skype, antivirus, etc., maybe interfering).

One thing I wanted to ask - with the Cakewalk Music Creator, the monitor is impossible to really use when playing, due to the echo-lag. Is this what is meant by "latency," and would something like the Studio One program have a better real-time monitoring capability?

Back