must have vocal mics for a commercial studio?

longwavestudio,

my clients are really not that knowledgeable about mics, so i think nobody will really ask for a specific brand or model of mic, so i think i'll skip any mics over $1k for the time being, except maybe for a ribbon mic.

Musthave imo:
3xSennheiser MD 421 (kick, toms, bass, guitar, vox)
1xShure Beta 52 (kick, bass)
4xShure SM57 (snare, toms, guitar)
1xShure SM58 (vox)
2xNeumann KM184 (OH, instruments)
1xNeumann U87 (vox, oh, room mic, guitar)
1xAKG C414 (vox, oh, room)
1xAKG D112 (kick, bass)
2xAKG C451 (OH)

*droool*
And this is only the beginning ;)

Keijo

Musthave imo:
3xSennheiser MD 421 (kick, toms, bass, guitar, vox)
1xShure Beta 52 (kick, bass)
4xShure SM57 (snare, toms, guitar)
1xShure SM58 (vox)
2xNeumann KM184 (OH, instruments)
1xNeumann U87 (vox, oh, room mic, guitar)
1xAKG C414 (vox, oh, room)
1xAKG D112 (kick, bass)
2xAKG C451 (OH)

*droool*
And this is only the beginning

ouch!

Just get a 4033 and use the rest of the money on some neat coloured lighting

or even better, a well assorted liquor cabinet.:D

safarisound said:
Have one of the following:
AKG C414
Neumann U47 Tube
Neumann U47Fet
Neuman M49
Neuman M50
AKG C12
AKG C12A
Telefunken ??? (looks like C12)

Any of these will get you a Class A sound that sounds good and will be easy to mix

You are referring to the elam251? It's a real bargain, too. I have seen them go for as little as 13000 US$
:)
BUt then, none of the mics you mention besides the 414 sells for less than 5000$, right?

postalblue said:
a new c12 is around $4k at macmidimusic.

the "new c12" (c12vr) is a completely different mic than the classic c12.
I think sounddelux produces a elam251 copy that comes closer to the original. But thats only hearsay (reaching for my octava with tears in my eyes...)
:)

I have U47's, U87's, 44BX's, etc., and it's my theory that the more high-end mics you acquire ("man, that mic *looks* amazing--what is it?"), the more you tend to lean on the cheaper sleepers that do a better job sometimes...

Some faves:

SM7...warm and fuzzy...good rejection...

EV RE16...very U87-ish, BION, but with good rejection...

Beyer M500...first call on the girls or screechy guys...

Beyer Soundstar...mic of choice on rock shouters...

Altec 689C...found this at a garage sale...sounds very condenser-ish, but it's a dynamic...

I paid 500 bucks for the 5 mics listed above, and would be hard-pressed to think of a singer that would not like one of them...

Bruce
www.bruceharvie.com

I think you are right about the Elam. Last one I used was on an Al Jarreu project. The sound was so rich and creamy and almost dripping. Man I'm getting hungry

Get a green and gold MXLv67 and tell them its a C12. Who's going to notice if it is in the shock mount?? ;)

I think all of these mics are wondeful. But have you ever had a client ask you to use a certain microphone and then get mad if you don't have it?? I haven't. I mean most clients are recording with you to get the best sound possible at the price YOU charge. If they want to walk out because you don't have a C12, oh well. And if they think they sound the best on 1 particular microphone then why do they even need you?? They should just go buy the mic they like. Because it is the microphone that makes them sound good and not the engineer right??

I say:

TLM103
C414
C1
MXL v67
AKG C3000b (for females)
RE20
MD421
sm57

I have heard all of these mics and heard wonderful things made with them. This list may not be perfect, but I think you could get some great vocals between all of those and all for less than the price of 2 u87's.

Beezoboy

beezoboy,

great input man. i agree with you. if my main clients were big time experienced artists and/or session musicians, then i'd have to really worry about having a u87 or c12, but since i'll be working mainly with amateur musicians (probably on a budget), i think my best bet is to get an array of best-band-for-the-buck microphones that will cover my ass in most situations. my studio is going to begin as a decent project studio by american standards, but compared to my local competition, it will be right up there with the best in my location, IF i can deliver the goods in a memorable fashion with the equipment i have. mind you, there is at least one local studio with a neve board and studer machines, but the engineers there are SHITE, and the rates are out of most musicians' reach. the other studios are really commercial 'project' studios, just like mine will be. my edge will be exactly production values, and probably especializing in certain genres.
anyway, there lies the reason for my question- considering all i just said, i'm trying to put together my mic cabinet accordingly, so what should me next acquisionts be?
i already have a bunch of sennheisers e604, 1 akg c3000, 1 sp c3, 1 akg d3700, 2 mxl 603's, 2 behringer ecm8000's, 1 audio technica atpro25.
i know this is pissy poor by american standards, that's why i'm looking for mics that will complement my setup. i know i probably must get a bunch of sm57s, a ribbon mic, a decent dynamic for voice over, an at4033 etc, but what else and which ones?

Back