The most expensive mic...

Scorpio61

Just wonderin, it's always nice to know!

I'm guessin the answere is some mic that a celeb has used (like Sinatras mic or sumthin), but I don't mean like that. Although it would be interesting to know that too!

Anywayz,
What's the most expensive mic new from the store? And is it really worth it?

apparently spies can learn a LOT from it...imagine how much one of these babies cost!

Laser microphones
A laser microphone is an exotic application of laser technology. It consists of a laser beam that must be reflected off a glass window or another rigid surface that vibrates in sympathy with nearby sounds. This device essentially turns any vibrating surface near the source of sound into a microphone. It does this by measuring the distance between itself and the surface extremely accurately; the tiny fluctuations in this distance become the electrical signal of the sounds picked up. Laser microphones are new, very rare and expensive, and are most commonly portrayed in the movies as spying devices.

i'll sell you a new 635 for 50 grand. then you'll have the answer... and the most expensive mic!

i think i've seen old 251's go for like 30 grand...asking at least. 251's always seem to run way higher than anything.

the new 251's were like 15 grand a couple years ago weren't they? i thought that pretty wild.

Mike

studiomaster said:
Why are you so curious to find out the most expensive mic? What do you learn from it?

hey it's always good to plan a shopping list.........................you never know a lottery win might be on the cards

so the answer is you learn what the most you can spend on a mic is

Jahn said:
apparently spies can learn a LOT from it...imagine how much one of these babies cost!

Laser microphones
A laser microphone is an exotic application of laser technology. It consists of a laser beam that must be reflected off a glass window or another rigid surface that vibrates in sympathy with nearby sounds. This device essentially turns any vibrating surface near the source of sound into a microphone. It does this by measuring the distance between itself and the surface extremely accurately; the tiny fluctuations in this distance become the electrical signal of the sounds picked up. Laser microphones are new, very rare and expensive, and are most commonly portrayed in the movies as spying devices.

Not that expensive.

http://www.williamson-labs.com/laser-mic.htm
http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~nshin/PROJECTS/LASERSNOOPER/

You can do it with some simple circuitry, a laser pointer, and a ripped-apart remote control sensor from a broken TV. Looks like under a hundred bucks to me.

If you're talking new, retail and not some old vintage or esoteric mic, the Neumann Digital mic is about $10K.
The Brauner VM1 KHE is about $8700.
Those Germans are proud of their anal engineering.

studiomaster said:
Why are you so curious to find out the most expensive mic? What do you learn from it?

The same reason I like to know what the most expensive house or car is. To check it out and drool all over it. Dreaming I lived there or drove that.

I'm curious, it's nice to know.

:cool:

And up tp 20-25 000 for a mic? I wonder if a 25 000 $ mic is much better than a 10 000 $ mic. Guess it depends on the use.

Well guys...i have no idea about most expensive mic but i just got magic karaoke machines for Christmas celebration.

Cheer !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's one for 10K, and that's the sale price -
the retail is $17,999.99

Neumann Solution D | Sweetwater.com

But I'm certain there are others that aren't current new production mics that are worth even more.

I didn't think the D-01 was ever that expensive.

A stereoset in the UK was about £10,000.

But I still drool over these and would love to get a pair.

I do have the digital KM-D SDC series and have just ordered two of the new DMI-2P (portable) interfaces to go with my Nagra VI so I can record with four digital at once.

Back