Mods for MXL 960

telewacker

I just got one of these mics. I put a NOS Telefunken in it and it sounds pretty darn good. I use it to record saxophones. I've heard rumors that there are mods to improve the mic. Anyone know what they are? Is there someone who does mods to them that people have had good results with? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The only mod I've ever done to that mic was to completely gut it and turn it into something entirely different.

I'm not really sure that's a mic that needs moding. It's pretty good as is.

You might think about putting a better capsule in it. The Peluso PK-47 might be nice in there. It wouldn't have the sibilance problem that so many MXL mics have.

The only mod I've ever done to that mic was to completely gut it and turn it into something entirely different.

I'm not really sure that's a mic that needs moding. It's pretty good as is.

You might think about putting a better capsule in it. The Peluso PK-47 might be nice in there. It wouldn't have the sibilance problem that so many MXL mics have.

Where do you get one of those capsules? I googled it and just saw lot's of reviews, message board posts, etc. How much do they cost?

I tried a Mullard 12AX7 and an RCA long blackplate 12AX7...I think I like the RCA.

I've got an MXL 960, and swapped out the tube for a Mullard 12AT7 (4024), and I think this mic sounds totally fab.

That said, I'd love for somebody else to do a capsule swap, and share the results. I get the impression Dr. PhilGood could do it in his sleep... Indeed, if a mic modder so widely respected as he were to do it, no doubt there would be much rejoicing among we lesser mortals.

You can find them on eBay if you do a search for "microphone capsule". They cost about $250. The website is www.pelusomicrophonelab.com. The capsule isn't listed there, but if you call John directly and tell him what you're looking for he'll tell you all about it. You will also need to order a saddle, as the one in the 960 won't fit that capsule.

You can find them on eBay if you do a search for "microphone capsule". They cost about $250. The website is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxThe capsule isn't listed there, but if you call John directly and tell him what you're looking for he'll tell you all about it. You will also need to order a saddle, as the one in the 960 won't fit that capsule.

Thanks for the info! I will get in touch with him soon.

They wouldn't let me post the website url in your quote because I don't have five posts yet. :rolleyes:

Indeed, if a mic modder so widely respected as he were to do it, no doubt there would be much rejoicing among we lesser mortals.

"widely respected"?!

You flatter me!:)

I confess that I would be absolutely nothing, know absolutely nothing if it were not for the many serious experts on this board with whom I have butted heads with and learned a great deal from. To them I pay homage!!!!!

Such as our own Harvey Gearst, who is a gold mine of knowledge! Without Harvey, I would be the perpetual newb! Thanks Harvey, for all the (in)valuable knowledge you provide!!!!

Marik: (AKA Mark Fuksman) our gifted Russian brother who is also a fountain of information and very supportive of newbs! Truly golden by every sense of the word!

Flatpicker: Where are you anyway?!

Gus: Our bit of a phantom who post on the more serious forums and occasionally graces us with his presence!

Plus a plethora of others who deserve the kind words you have attributed to me much more than I do!

Craig Morris

Crazydoc

dgatwood

shit...too many to list!

Sorry if your name isn't here!:o

i've gone through the Mullard CV4024 (12at7), a telefunken and an RCA black plate and the RCA is my favorite in this mic too.

the mullard was nice, but seemed to be missing something. the telefunken was very hi fi, and if anything, left me feeling a little flat. it's the same "complaint" i have about using the telefunkens in my guitar amps--VERY smooth--almost too smooth. lots of great things to say about it, but almost too transparent.

the RCA on the other hand, had a solid bottom end and very lacy, very compelling high end. it had a wonderful sheen to it.

i've recently picked up an amperex bugle boy (holland) and a couple old GE's that i'm going to try the next time i fire the 960 up.

cheers,
wade

i've gone through the Mullard CV4024 (12at7), a telefunken and an RCA black plate and the RCA is my favorite in this mic too.

the mullard was nice, but seemed to be missing something. the telefunken was very hi fi, and if anything, left me feeling a little flat. it's the same "complaint" i have about using the telefunkens in my guitar amps--VERY smooth--almost too smooth. lots of great things to say about it, but almost too transparent.

the RCA on the other hand, had a solid bottom end and very lacy, very compelling high end. it had a wonderful sheen to it.

i've recently picked up an amperex bugle boy (holland) and a couple old GE's that i'm going to try the next time i fire the 960 up.

cheers,
wade

I'm a guitar player too and I've got a good selection of NOS and ANOS 12AX7s. Bugle Boys are great tubes but bright...probably not the best for this mic. I have Sylvania grey and black plates and a couple o GEs, a Raytheon I haven't taken out of the box yet and a bunch of others, mostly Mullards and Amperex. I just stopped with the RCA. Knowing how the tubes sound I figured it was probably the best for this mic?

Anyway check out these guitar tones if you're interested.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=823181&content=songinfo&songID=6479008

I don't know how you folks feel about it, but I feel the 12AX7 is too hot for this circuit, especially on loud sources. I've been using a 12AT7 and even with this the mic is HOT. I think I might try a 12AU7. I've got a few RCA blackplate 12AU7s that might be good to go with.

I've gotta say about this mic though, I've used it a lot less since I picked up the Apex 205 (and soldered in the Cinemag transformer). That ribbon mic is much nicer to me, and what it won't do for the upper end transparency, the Naiant MSH1 will do in spades. :) I think they're both better tools than the 960.

Might be time to build a clone in that housing... :D

i've found bugle boys to be a crapshoot, honestly, which sucks considering how much they sell for. "amperex" was a brand name and many factories manufactured Bugle Boys for them. the made in Holland ones are the ones i like (and are typically the ones "raved about").

you're right though--i love the brightness of this one i've currently got in my tweaked out '74 vibrochamp--yet it's a smooth bright. that's what i like about it. very sweet sounding cleans out of that thing. currently that amp's outfitted with the bugle boy, an RCA blackplate in V2, a JAN RCA 6V6 and a JAN sylvania 5Y3. it's taken some experimentation to get there. ;) the telefunkens are in my '65 princeton.

although, i have to say.....the couple GE gray plates i've come across are excellent in that amp too. a little less low end than the RCA, but i like the highs more.

thanks to years of tubes and amps, i too know how the various brands sound (at least in my amps) and have an idea of what they'll sound like in the mic.....but i always have to try em and see. there's always enough variation between 'identical" NOS tubes that one might sound a little sweeter (insert desired adjective here) than another.

but i'm completely with you--i too stopped at the RCA once i put it in that mic. it was exactly what the 960 needed.

cheers,
wade

I don't know how you folks feel about it, but I feel the 12AX7 is too hot for this circuit, especially on loud sources.
that's one of the reasons i only use that mic on vocals--and even then, it seems to excel at the softer, more "sensitive" vocals much more than the "rock and roll" stuff. this mic, for me, by no means is an all-arounder. it's my "i need to make my voice sound big and intimate" mic.

i've not found a use for this mic anywhere else--drums, amps, acoustic guitars.....it hasn't been what i'm looking for on any of those sources.

but for what it's done for my voice, it's more than worth the $150 i paid for it. it's the only mic i've used that's ever made my voice sound "big and good" (no easy feat!).

cheers,
wade

I don't know how you folks feel about it, but I feel the 12AX7 is too hot for this circuit, especially on loud sources. I've been using a 12AT7 and even with this the mic is HOT. I think I might try a 12AU7. I've got a few RCA blackplate 12AU7s that might be good to go with.

I've gotta say about this mic though, I've used it a lot less since I picked up the Apex 205 (and soldered in the Cinemag transformer). That ribbon mic is much nicer to me, and what it won't do for the upper end transparency, the Naiant MSH1 will do in spades. :) I think they're both better tools than the 960.

Might be time to build a clone in that housing... :D

12AX7 is indeed too hot for mics. It has a gain factor of 100 and can easily push the mic into distortion. A 12AY7 (6072A) gives it enough headroom and keeps the self noise low enough.

12AX7 is indeed too hot for mics. It has a gain factor of 100 and can easily push the mic into distortion. A 12AY7 (6072A) gives it enough headroom and keeps the self noise low enough.

Yah, you're right. I took the 12AX7 out and put in a Mullard 4024 (12AT7). Don't have any 12AY7s, do you recommend them over the 12AT7?

Yah, you're right. I took the 12AX7 out and put in a Mullard 4024 (12AT7). Don't have any 12AY7s, do you recommend them over the 12AT7?

It's really a matter of preference. Let your ears decide. If you record a lot of soft sources then the 12AT7 might be more suitable as the gain to noise ratio would be better. A lot of dynamic medium to loud stuff might require more headroom that a 12AY7 would give. The 12AY7 (6072A) is used in the AKG C12 and Ela M 250/251. Most techs say the 12AT7 isn't suited for microphones at all. There are arguments on all sides. The real judge should be what your ears tell you.

It's really a matter of preference. Let your ears decide. If you record a lot of soft sources then the 12AT7 might be more suitable as the gain to noise ratio would be better. A lot of dynamic medium to loud stuff might require more headroom that a 12AY7 would give. The 12AY7 (6072A) is used in the AKG C12 and Ela M 250/251. Most techs say the 12AT7 isn't suited for microphones at all. There are arguments on all sides. The real judge should be what your ears tell you.

I always do trust my ears and have bucked CW on more than one occasion. I'm a professional musician and the mic is primarily used for saxophone. I'll get a couple of 12AY7s to try out. NOS specimens are much cheaper than 12AX7s and I have an excellent source. Thanks for your help!

Back