Modded Oktava vs u47

It is true most home recordists are unlikely to have a U47 or even a U87 in their studios.

But many people write to me and describe their home studio mic needs by expressing a desire to get something like the sound they've gotten when they used Neumann mics in professional studios. For these people - musicians and engineers looking for affordable microphones that have a timbral resemblance to the "Neumann voicing" - shootouts between OktavaMod mics and Neumann mics are valuable.

Other people have written who have never used one of the iconic Neumann microphones. But they too are interested in knowing how an OktavaMod performs relative to these icons. For these people, shootouts between OktavaMod mics and Neumann mics are valuable.

For people who just want to hear how my OktavaMod process improves a stock mic, I have very carefully recorded before / after mod acoustic guitar samples at my site: http://www.oktavamod.com/audio.html (second test from the bottom of the page).

But as I've said before, I'm not running a shoot-out business. I'm busy improving microphones to enhance the recording experiences of my clients. I'm thankful that clients do take the time to make and share their A / B tests with the world.

Some here may continue to debate the validity and methodology of OktavaMod / Neumann comparisons - you're welcome to.

But three groups of people have told me these comparisons are valid - 1.) those looking for a "Neumann-esque" sound, 2.) those for whom Neumann is a gold standard of performance and 3.) very happy clients from around the world who wish to express to me, and recordists like themselves, their happiness with my work through their own A / B comparisons.

Nice post Michael. I'd agree in that one of the most frequent posts on any audio forum is "What less expensive LD mic can I buy that will sound like a U-47 (U-87, etc.)." For a variety of reasons (some nonsensical and arcane), the U-47/U-87 (other older neumann) has been perceived to be the "gold standard" by which all other LD mics are measured. Even though many recordists will never own (or maybe even use) a U-47 or U-87, many aspire to that sound (or what they believe to be that sound) and thus have a legitimate interest in other microphones that might get them in the ballpark.

For people who just want to hear how my OktavaMod process improves a stock mic, I have very carefully recorded before / after mod acoustic guitar samples at my site: http://www.oktavamod.com/audio.html (second test from the bottom of the page).....

That quote above is the most valuable shootout to me. I can hear my stock mic and know very well how it will compare to the modded mic. The U47 comparison is still not too useful to many because along with a U47 there is usually a Neve type console, a Studer 827 and racks of great pre-amps in well designed rooms. The best shootout would be to record the stock mic and modded mic with home studio equipment in a bedroom and have a mix of at least 8 instruments.

Totally rational thought - thanks! This reasonable perspective does not descend from a desire to be "mood poopers" or trolling or whatever your vernacular requires. A shoot-out between the mods vs. unmods would be more helpful (or just add the un-mods as a control in the original collection of shoot-out clips .. this would conform to the necessary "marketing" needs of OktavaMod Evangelicalism and satisfy those of us whom just want to know how much better it sounds). Like, what's the object of the exercise there: "hey what should I buy, a modded Oktava or a U47?".. :p or "should I get my mic modded"? :cool:

I have a pair of original MC 012-01 .. sitting right here .. possibly waiting to be candidates for the PE upgrades - not because they will sound just as good as a U47 or U87 .. but because I may reasonably expect they will be, at most, $79 better.

EXACTLY!.............

Thanks Michael .. just what I needed! The acoustic guitar clips : the modded mic definitely shows a marked improvement in its ability capture the plectrum transients as well as help smooth out the "boxie" tone of the original. Good job! :D

As a side note .. last night when I again went to your site, you have these randomly loaded "testimonials" at the bottom - odd as it may be, my bass player's brother's testimonial shows up with his approval.. a sign from the Mic Modding Muses .. um, no.. just freaking odd timing! How neat though, eh? :rolleyes:

I'll probably be packing these MC 012-01 up soon - I noticed also that you are out of stock of the matched pair MC 012 MSP2 .. I did sign up for an account and will contact you soon about all of this stuff.

Thanks all for a healthy debate and valuable insights.

Hmmmmm. As the original poster I have a few things to say. First of all, yes it is unlikely that most home recordists will have access to a U47 for comparison. I stated in my first post that it was something I thought I'd never have the opportunity to do.

My purpose was not a shoot-out to post on this board, (if it had been, I would have anticipated the need to record uncopyrighted material) it was for kicks, because a friend got his hands on a U47 for a few days. (Notice the lack of marketing agenda.)

If you'll read my original post you will see that the same UA preamp was used on each mic. Same instrument and voice. Same levels and positioning. Perhaps some of you could have gotten out your sliderules, calculators and laser-levels and done a more scientific job. ;) But it was good enough to show me what the mics were made of.

Also, if you scrll back to post #1, you will find that I was skeptical of others claims that this mic would stand up to the Neumann. All four of us in attendance at this session had loopy grins of disbelief when we all picked the Oktava as the winner. So, take that for what you will. I wish I could post the clips and shut a few peoples' mouths. If I get access to the U47 again, you will have clips! And pooh pooh and laugh all you want. I'm STILL just smling. :)

Did you use the phantom power on the UA for the for both mics?

Uh, which little knobby thingy is that? Oh yeah, Phantom power. No we only used it on the U47. The Oktava sounded fine without it. (I'm kidding, of course) BTW, O fount of useful knowledge, have YOU tried an Oktavamod 319?

Uh, which little knobby thingy is that? Oh yeah, Phantom power. No we only used it on the U47. The Oktava sounded fine without it. (I'm kidding, of course) BTW, O fount of useful knowledge, have YOU tried an Oktavamod 319?

I'm not kidding. You definitely used the onboard UA phantom power to power both mics?

isn't that actually the little thingie that you need to make the Oktava "go"? :eek:

the worst thing about this thread:
I haven't been able to get that freakin' song out of my head for the last week or so.. "Kansas City, Kansas City hear I come". :D

I'm not kidding. You definitely used the onboard UA phantom power to power both mics?

Ah, I see what you're saying. The U47 was already powered up and warmed up when I arrived with the Oktava. I was playing and singing on the clips, and not at the controls. If the Neumann had it's own power supply I'm guessing that's what they used, but I didn't actually see how it was configured.

Since this is my first post, I'll say my only claim to fame with good equipment is I got to use two U47's for about two years a while back. A retired gentleman in our church choir entrusted me with them and it made me realize just how mediocre of a singer I was:(. It seemed like it could record not just my singing but my thought process as well. I had a Yamaha cassette four-track and they sounded really nice. I also had a Revox 1/4 track reel-to-reel that I would record the choir live with. I put the band behind and to the side of the choir and had the soloists standing in front. It sounded great!
I've only been able to afford chinese knock offs since then and while some sound good I've never been able to capture the transparency. Im just now getting back into recording after a 7 year hiatus so I'll have to check these out!
Rick

Wow, some of y'all are obnoxious. I think I'll have to get my MK-219s modded just to spite you!

I'm actually looking forward to getting the mods done as soon as I have a little scratch to spare... I can't AFFORD real Neumanns, but I was lucky enough to get to work with some in college long ago, and I'd love to get something similar for acoustic guitars and vocals in my basement. From what I've heard in samples, the Oktavamods may not necessarily tie/beat a REAL Neumann... but they sound pretty darn good compared to whatever else I can get for $150-250! And they're at least in the same ballpark with a mic voicing I know I like, from experience.

Why some people feel a need to beat so hard on this is beyond me. It's childish. Like someone else said, I'm not expecting my mics to come back sounding $4000 better... I'm expecting them to come back sounding $150-250 better, which seems reasonable.

Tell you what, though... I own two GC-era MK-219s that I've A/B'd for my own purposes, and they're pretty close - close enough that choice doesn't matter. When I get the money for the Oktavamod, I'll get one done, then I'll A/B it with its unmodified mate. See if you find THAT useful. But I'll probably just get flamed for it.

Hello,
I'm looking for an MK-219 or MK-319 original capsule (same capsule) to fix my MK-219 microphone.

Some people mod this mics a lot and change the original capsule and might have a spare one to sell.

If you have one of this capsules please let me know

Thank you so much
Best regards

iL

Back