Mixer or Preamp? Which is more essential?

ZayRaw

So im starting up my own home studio, mainly for male vocals. I'll only be recording one track at a time so I've priced a few one channel preamps (800 being my budget) I've pretty much made up my mind on the blue Robbie but here's my question, if im going to be spending that much on a pre would it be smarter to invest in a mixer instead? Or can I just do all my mixing in protocols and still get quality sound. The mic I'll be using will either be the sterling st32 ($650) or the baby bottle stage 1 (800). Will that mix and preamp combo get me a good sound or should I go with a cheaper mic and more expensive mixer/preamp? Help please

Well for recording just one track at a time I'd say a preamp is more important, but what about your interface? The interface would be more important than both the preamp and the mixer.

Assuming protocols is a typo for protools, and you're using a DAW - what would you even want an analog mixer for? That would be redundant. Mix in the box.

Also - with that kind of budget, you could get a seriously high end preamp - I'm thinking starting a 500 series lunchbox rack. That'd be all kinds of gnarly.

Well for recording just one track at a time I'd say a preamp is more important, but what about your interface? The interface would be more important than both the preamp and the mixer.

sorry im new to all this, i was just planning on going with the mbox mini didn't wanna spend too much on that seeing i don't really know the importance of it just that i need one. Maybe u can give me a little more info on how the interface is more important than the mixer

Assuming protocols is a typo for protools, and you're using a DAW - what would you even want an analog mixer for? That would be redundant. Mix in the box.

Also - with that kind of budget, you could get a seriously high end preamp - I'm thinking starting a 500 series lunchbox rack. That'd be all kinds of gnarly.

not familiar with the brand, is that better than the blue Robbie? I've heard good reviews on that one but can't say how accurate they are since most people are only comparing it to something they UPGRADED from as apposed to something in the same price range or slightly more expensive

500 series refers to a small form factor that you can get really high end units (like API, Neve, Purple...) to bolt in. Check it out here: "500 Series" Microphone Pre-Amps | VintageKing.com

I've never seen or heard a blue Robbie, but it's apparently impressing some people over on gearslutz....for whatever that's worth. :p I'd go with an API 512C if I had that budget to get one all-around preamp - there's no way to really explain why, though, without using a bunch of whishy-washy language that doesn't really mean anything. I just love them.

This might be out the question, anyway, though - I didn't realize you didn't have an interface....you're gonna need to factor that into your budget (and again - what do you even want a mixer for if you're using protools and tracking one thing at a time?)

Sounds like terminology might need cleared up here.

A mixer usually has preamps built in
An interface will often have preamps built in, but will also have digital to analog converters built in and a usb or firewire port.

A standalone preamp will need to be plugged into an interface line input for computer recording.

Most people don't bother with mixers for computer recording because any eqing and volume adjustments can be done in the software.
So, we either buy an interface with loads of mic preamps built in (firepod) or an interface that has converters only. ie line inputs (echo audiofire) and plug loads of standalone preamps into that.

You can use direct outputs from each channel of a mixer to feed converters, but there's not really an advantage to that unless you have some reason that you want the extra functionality of a mixer, or the mixer has really desirable preamps.

From your description it sounds like a good mic and a single channel interface is the way forward.
I know apogee make a reputable one. Anyone used that?
Hope that helps.

The terminology primer was definitely needed, good call - I should also mention, ZayRaw, that you can get a very nice single channel solution for far less money than anything I mentioned - I only mentioned those 500 series style units because your budget *could* afford one of them... whether or not that's even a wise investment right now is another topic altogether, though.

From your description it sounds like a good mic and a single channel interface is the way forward.
Hope that helps.

Apogee only works with Mac now, iirc, so that might not be an option.

edit: this is incorrect now, apparently (my bad)
He's going to need a digidesign (or avid or whatever they go by now) interface (to use as a dongle, if nothing else) if he wants to use protools, though. Is M-Powered still available? Maybe an M-Audio will still work...

Last edited:
Sounds like terminology might need cleared up here.

A mixer usually has preamps built in
An interface will often have preamps built in, but will also have digital to analog converters built in and a usb or firewire port.

A standalone preamp will need to be plugged into an interface line input for computer recording.

Most people don't bother with mixers for computer recording because any eqing and volume adjustments can be done in the software.
So, we either buy an interface with loads of mic preamps built in (firepod) or an interface that has converters only. ie line inputs (echo audiofire) and plug loads of standalone preamps into that.

You can use direct outputs from each channel of a mixer to feed converters, but there's not really an advantage to that unless you have some reason that you want the extra functionality of a mixer, or the mixer has really desirable preamps.

Hope that helps.

ok with that being said, is the preamp dependant on my interface? will spending LESS on an interface compromise quality? if i only want an interface with converters what would be a decent amount to spend? keep in mind im trying to put this whole thing together with only $2500. with about $1600 being spent on the mic and preamp alone

Apogee only works with Mac now, iirc, so that might not be an option. He's going to need a digidesign (or avid or whatever they go by now) interface (to use as a dongle, if nothing else) if he wants to use protools, though. Is M-Powered still available? Maybe an M-Audio will still work...

yes i'm familiar with both m-audio and degidesign... i'll be using a pc so anything to do with macs wont help me. their interfaces usually come in a bundle along with protools for about 300 bucks. pretty affordable

ok with that being said, is the preamp dependant on my interface?

Not necessarily. The interfaces you're talking about getting do have preamps in them, but you don't have to use them.

Will spending LESS on an interface compromise quality?

Technically, the answer to this is yes - whether or not it's a difference that anybody can really tell.... I've never seen any convincing double blind tests where listeners can identify higher quality A/D conversion with modern converters. I haven't looked around for one in a while, though...

Also - it occurs to me that you haven't mentioned monitors - which are far and away the most important thing you're going to need. Have you already got some monitors?

Ok... Great! i have a pretty good idea of what i need now. Just dont wanna invest money into the wrong pieces of equiptment and ultimately be disappointed. For 2500 i should be able to put together a pretty decent setup and get some quality sound (which will depend on my mixing of course) but thats for another discussion. Thanks for the help tho

Also - it occurs to me that you haven't mentioned monitors - which are far and away the most important thing you're going to need. Have you already got some monitors?

No but they're in my budget. After buying the mic, preamp, and interface that'll leave me at around 700 for accesseries (mic stand, cables, pop filter, studio headphones, etc etc) any suggestions on monitors?

That's plenty of money for what you want.
I can't whole heartedly recommend the mbox 2. I don't know about the new ones.

If you go with Pro tools 9 or 10 you can use whatever interface you want, contrary to what Hippo was saying.

I use PT9 with a presonus firestudio mobile as my mobile setup. No probs with it at all.

Do you need pro tools? there are much cheaper alternatives.

Ok... Great! i have a pretty good idea of what i need now. Just dont wanna invest money into the wrong pieces of equiptment and ultimately be disappointed. For 2500 i should be able to put together a pretty decent setup and get some quality sound (which will depend on my mixing of course) but thats for another discussion. Thanks for the help tho

Yea, you're talking about getting some *really* nice gear for a home studio here - Assuming that mic plays nicely with your voice and whatever else you want to record with it, there's not really an equipment-related weakpoint that would hold you back. Except of course... the monitors (I slipped that post in while you were righting this one, I think).

If you go with Pro tools 9 or 10 you can use whatever interface you want, contrary to what Hippo was saying.
Oh cool, man - it's about time. (I'm a cubase guy, so I don't really keep up with protools too closely).

I was gonna suggest this, too - you can save a pretty good chunk of change with... pretty much anything else.

That's plenty of money for what you want.
I can't whole heartedly recommend the mbox 2. I don't know about the new ones.

I use PT9 with a presonus firestudio mobile as my mobile setup. No probs with it at all.

dont neccesarily NEED pro tools but im already familiar with it, i've never used any other program to record with. what are some other alternatives? i've heard of ambleton, cubase, garageband. if those are cheaper then i guess i should go that route although im not particularly fond of learning an entirely new program

Back