Mics for under $100 - that just may work for you.

Not able to buy a real Shure 57 or 58 for $60 but at $100 they are good for live use.
For a quite studio I would use a condenser mic for smoother sound. An omni is good.
Ribbons are great but the Apex seems a bit slow and lacks bit of the SM57.

Your current mic is fine, but find out what's crackling and distorting in your recording chain and fix that first. The SM57 would be a nice step up from what you have, but work on your pitch and tone before you go any further.

Build up your confidence and get to the point where you own the song. That will make more of a difference than buying a new mic.

I am sure this has been said many times but for under $100 you can't beat the SM 57. The only thing known to break a SM 57 is Chuck Norris. When told about this Chuck Norris said " Why would I want to destroy an SM 57? It is the greatest mic you can buy for under $100!"

For 15 years, I've been keeping my studio sterile from any Behringer stuff... I would even let you smoke in my studio if that helps you score better performance recording wise, just don't bring any Behringer stuff! Ever!

I can't believe it.... After hearing the sample Harvey provided, I decided to purchase the very first Behringer product ever for my studio... ECM8000.

Lesson learned, never hate a brand so much, you don't know what you miss! Now I have waaay more satisfying result of recording acoustic guitar.

Thank you Harvey... Appreciate your share a lot! :cool:

No love for GLS ES-57 (or ES-58)?

I know what we all think of knockoffs, but there are Neuman knockoffs that work out well...

These dynamics are $30 new, and personally, I like the sound of the 57 better than my SM57 (the ES-58 has a plastic ball on the end, not metal, but I don't own one, so I don't care about that bit. I put a clown nose on my ES-57)

Thoughts?

I never understand how the Blue Encore 100 slips under the radar! £60 dynamic mic that sounds like an LDC and is great live or in the studio. brought one on a whim after seeing the price and watching a shed load of youtube clips and it's now my "go to" live vocal mic. also works great on guitar amps and snares. in fact, it works great anywhere that you'd normally bung a 57 or 58

I recently got the gls es57 and its great. very versatile.
My other favorite sub 100 mic is the Naiant x-s
cheap as chips and great on acoustics.
great thread btw

Great recommendations! I've got a V67g that I've modded and it's outstanding! If I could only have 1 mic below $500, it would be that mic. 603 mics are OK for the price. Everyone needs a 57 or 58 (I prefer the 58 because of the removable windscreen). The only thing I would add is the AT2020 or 2010. I don't like as much as the V67g and it's not a great candidate for upgrading, but is has a good clear sound and is built like a tank in case you need to use it live.

Back