Mics for under $100 - that just may work for you.

i like my at2035 audio technica makes good budget mics
For guitars, or vocals? As compared to what?

This kind of comment always bothers me. What other mics does southpark have? What's he using it for? Has he compared it to other mics? And finally, the at2035 has a list price of $249.

hey guys... well this was exactly the thread I wanted to start lol. Good thing I found it.

you know, I usually record keyboard, guitar (both classic and electric) and sometimes voice.

Now you guys might blame me here for doing it wrong, but I record both my midi keyboard and electric guitar through an alesis io2 express interface. I plug the keyboard directly and the guitar I use the amps line out or simply plug it directly. I made a couple of stuff and I can say this works.

I keep hearing that people record electric guitar with microphones and I believe it may even sound better than the way I'm recording.

The thing is... and this is where my problem lies... recording voice and acoustic guitar is really though for me. I have a cheap poor man's mic (its borrowed). well it simply isn't cut out for the job.

For voice recordings - its fairly decent... will get the job done.
But for recording guitar or any sort of instrument... its horrible! you need to use so much gain from the interface to be audible the track gets filled with noise. I tried to use some compressors but its still not enough.

the sad part is that my budget is really tight and I'm already planning on buying way too much stuff (and its not gonna be enough).
If there was an all around multi use microphone, it'd be great...

but I know and I pass on the lecture, there is no perfect mic and you need to have a ton of them and use each for each instrument or sometimes more than one.

But maybe there is a mic that records guitars well and voice not so well, but well enough to apply a couple of effects and ... you know ... make it look fairly decent.

I plan on recording, acoustic and electric guitar, voice, keyboard, harmonica, kazoo, some random toy like instruments, and perhaps when possible I may build cajon out of plywood and try to get some percussion sounds out of it.

what would you guys recommend in my case.

Well DogBreath is the forum Kazoo expert here. He'll have to fill you in on that one.

Now that would be a great picture evolve thread to show your progress of the building of a cajon!!!!

You gotcha, when I start building it I'll take some pics and share them here.
Probably I'll start next month, provided I have the proper material. There smth I still need to figure oit "what's that thing that you tie on the inside of the cajon?' Cuz some cajon have what it seems like bells tied in a string inside the cajon...

But I need to get a couple of mics in the meantime. I've given up recording with my crappy mic...

I think my best and cheapest choice are 2 mics. One for voice and another for instruments, aimed specially for guitar but that'll also do a fairly good job for kazzo, harmonica etc...

And all that under 100€ ... Plus I'll also have to get a wacom for other side projects.

Its tough not having money lol

Elyst,

My recommendation for a budget all purpose mic for recording is a dynamic omni. You can get a pair under $100 because omnis are cheap. And when you step up and put some money into your mics you omnis will still be great for some things.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Interesting... I may go with that...

you know I was thinking of doing some really homemade song. Starting from only a drum sample and some bass I'd add little videos, a little riff in guitar, some flute like sounds, kazoo and whatever cheap interesting sounding thing I can find lying around in my house.

if anyone wants to help supplying some drum sample I'd appreaciate it, but I don't wanna get off topic here.

I'm looking for these omni mics you suggested. I'm gonna look this up a bit further later...

I like the blue encore 100i allot for voice, guitar or drums. I don't think it would work very well for christian rap metal jazz zydeco. Sorry to not be of much help Greg since this genre is relatively new to me. Where is this type of music traditionally found?

Last edited:
I have the M-Audio USB mic ($100), Awful. gives me this weird auto-tune echo noise, with a constant hiss in the background, Dont get this thing.

I just ordered a MXL770. From what I've read it's supposed to be everything the V67 is but only better... Will review as soon as I get it!

Beyerdynamic TG-X 58.
Pretty much a Shure SM58 but to my ears it sound better than many original 58's,
I've got two even though I'm always short of money and have served me well for vocals and guitars,

Sennheiser also makes some nice cheap ones.

Hmm, Harvey already has three stickies, but I'd consider it. I do get concerned with threads that are basically a lot of external links, especially downloads, those have a habit of going away after a while. But Harvey has a pretty good track record of hosting stuff on his site.

I'll wait to hear what Harvey thinks . . .

The file is gone now :(

I got an ECM8000 after listening to this back in the day, and I came back because I'm considering a V67g now.

Thanks; I also ended up finding it saved on my my computer. Are you still able to edit the first post to update the link there?

Say Harvey I know you like the MXL cube ..... just wondering if you had a chance to check out their new cubes the *drum cube pro* and the *guitar cube pro*?

Back