Mics for under $100 - that just may work for you.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a ECM8000. So I have another $50 or so to find another multi-purpose mic. I'm currently looking at the Nady SCM 800, and the Nady DM70. I've already got an SM57 and will be getting the ECM800, so I was looking for something that would have different sound characteristics than the those 2.
Which would any of you all recommend?

Does it have to be a Nady? A MXL V67g would be a nice choice to have a different character microphone in your possession.

:cool:

I can vouch for Nady scm 900. I've been using it on its own to record grand piano and I've been able to get some very nice sounding and usable tracks. Nothing award winning, but good enough for a demo.

Does it have to be a Nady? A MXL V67g would be a nice choice to have a different character microphone in your possession.

I did my own shootout for about a dozen inexpensive (<200/each) mics that I had picked up based on digging around on several forums. My particular application was somewhat unique in that I play tabla. I was looking for something to accentuate the bass drum and the V67g was outstanding. I have signed up to have Michael Joly mod it to get a little more clarity on the high end. I picked up a like-new V67g with the isolation mount (which is normally a seperate purchase at around $25-30) for around $80 shipped.

I'll post the results of my shootout one of these days - my friend who helped me with it did a frequency sweep for each mic as well so its interesting to see how the audio corresponds to the measured frequency responses.

Incidentally, the main mics that my friend uses (he does quite a bit of live PA work for East Indian music/vocal concerts) are the Behringer B5. The B5 is another very inexpensive mic, available for around $65, that has a relatively flat frequency response.

This is good for reference the 103 is the bottom of the line for Neumann at $700. used, to an old vintage U67 at about $4000 and up.
Then there are other microphones that can cost $10,000.
So good thing that there are "mics for under $100. that just may work for you."

Any thoughts on if a pair MXL 603s would be much of an upgrade from a pair of nady cm 88?

I would use them mostly for drum overheads.

Harvey, I've been following your posts for a while now. I find the information very useful. I just got a job in a company whose main product line are micphones.Would you mind if I quote some and post it at my company's website? My boss would like to use it to make his employees(like me,hehe)more educated on the subject. Thanks a lot!

Harvey, I've been following your posts for a while now. I find the information very useful. I just got a job in a company whose main product line are micphones.Would you mind if I quote some and post it at my company's website? My boss would like to use it to make his employees(like me,hehe)more educated on the subject. Thanks a lot!
Christina,

As long as it's not for Astatic/CAD/Equitek*, feel free to use anything I've posted.

*I've already given CAD/Equitek more than they deserve, without receiving any credit.

Honestly, haven't traced this thread in a while.

Wanted to remind other members, however, another excellent microphone on many sources-including vocals-is the (Electro-Voice) EV 635a.
Still in production, unlike other EV "classics".

Chris

Another member on another thread brought up the GLS ES57 and 58, both 30 bones a throw. For a Test I ordered one of each, I'm new to recording myself but not to recording, and certainly have used a ton of Shure 57's and 58;s in the past. I'll let you know how these mics strike me.

Got them late yesterday, well they're built like brick shit houses, way more solid than the price point would indicate. 57 has a plastic grill, thingy, but no rattles, 58 seems to be plastic free. Packaging is no worse than other mics, here they use bubble wrap. Why are mics packed so crappy? Okay these are 30 dollar mics, but the SM7B was 350, and it's packing is no better.

...the GLS mics are no joke...very similar to the Shure mics but with a bit higher output and more proximity effect...great gigging mics...best $30 mic (new) you'll find IMHO... ;)

Back