Mic's for drums

dwdruman

Ok guys i have already tried the drum forum with noone responding aliitle help please. ok heres my situation. i've played around with alot of different mic positions with the mics. (mainly overheads and on snare). everything sounds good but i can't get a good cymbal sound from my overheads. what i mean by that is they sound far away.. distant. or they crescendo and not have the right sound. I'm looking for where you would put what mics.

The mic's i have are as follows
audio-technica dr-drm Kit
sm-58 (3)
mxl 2001
mxl 990/991 (2) kit
sm48s
audio-technica dr-vx2 (2)
I have 8 mic stands
and
a 6 piece kit

any thoughts on if i should buy different mic's. I'd like to do it with what I have, but if thats not a good option then I will buy different mics.

im also not looking for a great sound, obivously but something to get the job done.

dwdruman said:
Ok guys i have already tried the drum forum with noone responding aliitle help please. ok heres my situation. i've played around with alot of different mic positions with the mics. (mainly overheads and on snare). everything sounds good but i can't get a good cymbal sound from my overheads. what i mean by that is they sound far away.. distant. or they crescendo and not have the right sound. I'm looking for where you would put what mics.

The mic's i have are as follows
audio-technica dr-drm Kit
sm-58 (3)
mxl 2001
mxl 990/991 (2) kit
sm48s
audio-technica dr-vx2 (2)
I have 8 mic stands
and
a 6 piece kit

any thoughts on if i should buy different mic's. I'd like to do it with what I have, but if thats not a good option then I will buy different mics.

im also not looking for a great sound, obivously but something to get the job done.

I think you should be able to mic a kit with those. What are you using as overheads and how are you placing them? I would use the 991s in an XY or OTRF array to minimize phasing especially if your cymbals are sounding "far away" with your current setup. Cymbal sound also has a lot to do with the quality of your cymbals and the sound of your room. If you have shitty cymbals, they will be hard to record well. Likewise, if your recording space is not optimal, getting a great drum recording will be difficult. Mics are important, but they are not the answer to every problem.

dwdruman said:
i can't get a good cymbal sound from my overheads. what i mean by that is they sound far away.. distant.
Maybe the overheads are too far away, too distant.

dwdruman said:
they crescendo and not have the right sound.
How do the cymbals sound without the mic's? If they are crappy sounding to begin with, you're gonna have a hard time finding a mic to make 'em sound good.

Avlex drum mics are amazing for their price, they're made pretty well the same as Audix mics but without the brand name!

All the cymbals are A customs. the room is the band practice room so the whole thing is carpeted. and i mean the whole thing. its a dead room. the room it self is about. 14'x25'

i use two audio technica 3035 condensor mics for my overheads...one placed
on each side of the set elevated about 4 feet above the kit angled a little less than 45 degrees

Back