Thread: Mics for Choirs

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    Stumbled across this site, I'm impressed! As a newbee, I am hoping to get some input as to what mics to use for classical choral recordings.
    Choirs will also have half dozen classical accompianists most times, ie various strings, as well as piano or organ as well as percussion, with possible 20 member orchestra at times as well. My budget allows for 2) mics. I would set these at the distance required to balance the instrumentation to the choir. After talking the Taylor Johnson, I am about sold on the Oktava MC012 factory matched pair (from the Sound Room only) but wanted to get input on other potential mics as well.
    Thanks

Thanks

Wink

May also want to look into these:

*Elation KM201 - around $400US max.? www.ropnet.ru/pages/elation/elation.htm
    *Microtech Gefell M300 - around $300US? www.microtechgefell.com
    *Milab VM44 - around ? www.milabmic.com

Thanks

Wink

i would recommend that you go ahead and pop for a couple of decent small diaphragm condensers (neumann km184s), or a pair of ribbons (royer r-121s) for this type of work. a blumlein pair of ribbons out in front of almost any kind of small classical ensemble is pretty hard to beat, but the ORTF pair of small condensers is probably the most common approach if you are limited to two tracks. if possible, try to add a couple or more accent mics over various sections of the choir, to complement the main fron mics. make sure you are in a good space.

Thread Information