Microphone XLR Cables

Orson

From just a couple of pounds/dollars/euros to over £$100.

I have noticed a difference in background electrical noise from just changing cables in the same microphone.

Can anybody recommend a low noise cable for microphones? I need one about 5 meters long for a studio.

From just a couple of pounds/dollars/euros to over £$100.

I have noticed a difference in background electrical noise from just changing cables in the same microphone.

Can anybody recommend a low noise cable for microphones? I need one about 5 meters long for a studio.

Any chance you were changing from an unbalanced to a balanced cable?

There's rarely a 'best cable' thread worth reading on here because the consensus usually is that if it works it's fine.
Usually more money is getting your better durability, thicker cable, stronger connectors etc but I can't imagine much impact on the audio.

Any chance you were changing from an unbalanced to a balanced cable?

There's rarely a 'best cable' thread worth reading on here because the consensus usually is that if it works it's fine.
Usually more money is getting your better durability, thicker cable, stronger connectors etc but I can't imagine much impact on the audio.

Well I just purchased a new microphone and noticed a little noise when connected to the Zoom H5 (just a test). After changing cables of havent a clue if balanced or unbalanced there was a drop in such noise. it dropped to basically nothing when changing from number one to number 2 mic output on the zoom.

test result tells me that cables and mic sockets can produce noise for whatever reason......or not.

Last edited:
Most cables are good when they are new, it's just the mishandling or, occasionally, poor construction, that catches up with them.

You can spend $10 or $100 on a 20' mic cable. Somewhere a little south of the middle is where I'm pretty comfortable - just check reviews.

Neutrik connectors is what I look for. I know there are other good connectors, but there are bad connectors that are ever-so-slightly out of spec and will cause nothing but trouble, if nothing else requiring more force to remove, potentially introducing a waiting failure point.

Double vs. quad is an interesting topic, but the double is cheaper and all we knew about for decades. Still, I've picked up a couple of the Livewire Elite Quad (MF, GC, et al) and they seem pretty good for just a little bump in price.

After that, treat them well, coil them loosely, don't yank on them, roll heavy equipment (or heavy people in rolling chairs) over them, etc.

Repeated please delete this post.
You can delete your post.
test result tells me that cables and mic sockets can produce noise for whatever reason......or not.
More likely your one noisy one is defective (or an intermittent flaw in the one input- easy to check.
I've had worn XLR cables where the shield was breaking down, flaky overall, subject to even more noises if moved..
There can be wire breaks too.

Got ohm meter..?

If there is noise coming from a cable, then its faulty. There is no evidence the holds up to scrutiny by science that makes two cables sound different - apart from some basic functions. Resistance, impedance capacitance and occasionally insulation. The design of some cables offers better performance in electrically noisy environments, or the construction is beefed up to allow heavy items like flight cases to be rolled over them without damage. The really obvious reasons for picking a cable are the ease of sticking on connectors, the diameter, the ability to coil up properly and even the colour. Sound quality is the same, and I have probably got around 200 or so XLR cables of varying length in stock, and perhaps ten times this many from when I first started buying microphone. I throw them away when cut, crushed or damaged. I'll fix broken ones if the cables are decent looking, but price for price, buying a new one can often be more economic if I factor in my time. None have ever sounded different unless there is something wrong with them, or with what I ask them to do - like try to bodge up an extension for a guitar using jack to XLR adaptors. The impedance problem makes it sound dull - that's not a cable fault, just physics.

If there is noise coming from a cable, then its faulty. There is no evidence the holds up to scrutiny by science that makes two cables sound different - apart from some basic functions. Resistance, impedance capacitance and occasionally insulation. The design of some cables offers better performance in electrically noisy environments, or the construction is beefed up to allow heavy items like flight cases to be rolled over them without damage. The really obvious reasons for picking a cable are the ease of sticking on connectors, the diameter, the ability to coil up properly and even the colour. Sound quality is the same, and I have probably got around 200 or so XLR cables of varying length in stock, and perhaps ten times this many from when I first started buying microphone. I throw them away when cut, crushed or damaged. I'll fix broken ones if the cables are decent looking, but price for price, buying a new one can often be more economic if I factor in my time. None have ever sounded different unless there is something wrong with them, or with what I ask them to do - like try to bodge up an extension for a guitar using jack to XLR adaptors. The impedance problem makes it sound dull - that's not a cable fault, just physics.

About twice a year, I’ll have a cable repair day. I buy extra connectors and make shorter cables. I test each one before I solder them up. Way back when I started, we soldered up our cables. We’d buy bulk Belden cables, order a bunch of switchcraft connectors. Solder them up, test them, then put them into the usable bin/storage area.

Last edited:
So what you are all saying is that the expensive ones are no better than the £$15.00 ones that are for sale on Amazon?

I am not going to argue with that I was thinking of buying a £50.00 cable, but if its no better than the cheaper alternatives..........that suits me.

So what you are all saying is that the expensive ones are no better than the £$15.00 ones that are for sale on Amazon?

I am not going to argue with that I was thinking of buying a £50.00 cable, but if its no better than the cheaper alternatives..........that suits me.
There are certainly differences, but primarily in qualities of wire, gauge, connectors, durability, that sort of thing.

The default "mic cable for pros" always seems to be Mogami. The downside is that the cable sometimes cost more than the microphone.

I will second the notion of the connectors being the biggest difference. The tolerance can b loose enough that even a cable that ohms out fine can have contact issues that cause noise. If I buy low cost no name brand cables its in bunches, with the full knowledge that some are going to need to have to have the connectors replaced. If I buy even inexpensive "name" brand cables, I expect fewer issues. Companies like Hosa make low cost to medium cost products that rarely are faulty when new. As others have said the lifespan for less expensive cables may be less, but they are cheap to replace. If it's critical to have no issues at all times then I would suggest strongly having spares to back up even expensive cables. Otherwise a bag full of cheap ones will do fine.

The default "mic cable for pros" always seems to be Mogami.
RUBBISH
The notion of paying 50 quid for a piece of cable and two connectors for use on a festival stage, or in the studio is just laughable. I know I'm a Brit - but here we have a firm called Canford Audio. They are the sole supplier of many items to the BBC - things where back in the developing years, the BBC developed a specification for things and Canford would produce it. Cables being one very big area. Canford are not cheap, but they know their stuff and their cables are sold for their physical and electrical performance. They have never ever claimed a sonic unverifiable feature. Just solid electronic specs!

Mogami cable is decent cable - but it's over-priced and sold to those people who believe that gold plated connectors sound better too!

Suggesting it's the mic cable for pros is simply daft. If I have to make up new mic cables - then I buy Canford HST, because it lasts and for me, coils nicely for storage, but lays flat on the floor. This is where cheap cable fails. They do not lay flat, they're too stiff and plasticy. Repeated coiling cracks the outer jacket - that kind of stuff - NOT anything to do with sound quality. The notion that any sane person would pay more for the cable than the mic mean more money than sense.

It's smoke oil and mirrors.

The Amazon cable linked to by the way is quad cable. 4 cores, with two to each audio path. Two pairs in one cable, each with a different twist and lay. It's a proven method to reduce interference that can get onto the audio line. If you intend recording near heavily loaded lighting cables, or if you have to record near a high power broadcasting mast they can prevent unwanted interference getting into your audio. That's solid science. I've got some - trouble is they look exactly the same as the others, bar tiny printing on the sheath.

Buy cable for physical quality vs cost. Nothing else.

There is actually cheaper cable available that is really good too. We all have favourites for when we need to make batches. I'm lazy, so I often buy small quantities of Canford pre-made ones when I'm busy.

In the UK - Neutrik are the preferred connector, we rarely use Switchcraft or Canon - despite them being decent connectors. Neutrik over here has become the standard to follow this side of the water. Mainly because, like the other proper brands, they are good electrically but can be stood on!

Ok Rob good post. Can you suggest a good cable for a Brummies microphone then? For the studio and the cable will be mounted overhead for the sound booth to the interface. And one which will not break the bank.

If I'm making up cables and can invoice them to the client, then I use this stuff.
CANFORD HST-HD CABLE 1 pair BUT - it's £1.81+VAT per metre, which for me personally is still to much. When budget means it's my own money then I use this stuff.
Ready Made
pro snake TPM 10 – Thomann UK
it's less than a tenner - BUT - postage is a killer at nearly the same price - however, if you buy more stuff, it's progressively less important. The plugs seem a bit strange, but apparently Neutrik make them!

For just the cable from them I buy this stuff.
the sssnake SMK 222 PU / 100m – Thomann UK 100m reel for less than 50 quid and it is excellent. We use it for live recordings on stage and it lays flat, it's nice and soft, and never gives hassle - this one is actually a purple colour. We get less accidentally stolen if they are bright colours, ours are always easy to spot, but they do sensible colours of course too.

same stuff per mtr at not much more here.
the sssnake SMK 222 PU – Thomann UK

had to smile - at some point we even left a review on the web site - that's how much we liked it. We did moan about one thing I noticed, the name is printed on it a little too brightly. Must say it never bothers me personally. I guess that might have been said after some pictures were stuck upon facebook or something where they were visible?

If you want to be sure to have good cables for cheap price, you can only make them by yourself: I use Neutrik connectors and Tasker C128 cable.

Sort of - I had a conversation with Orson, and we found a UK dealer (Canford Audio) who are currently selling 10m Neutrik connector fitted cables made with cable they dell for nearly two quid a metre for sixteen pounds. No idea??? Mistake or overstocking - but genuine connectors and heavy duty, excellent quality tough cable for silly money. I cannot but the parts to make them cheaper than that!

Back