Microphone volume / input issues

CandyShakes

I have the following equipment:

Microphone: Rode Procaster
Mixer: Alto ZMX52

I'm not sure why this is happening all the time (for around 2 years now). Sometimes I plug in my microphone, begin speaking and nothing is recorded through audacity, or detected via my mixer. Once I use my palm to hit the microphone hard (while plugged in), it starts to detect audio and finally works. Sometimes it takes one hit, sometimes it takes 20 hits, but it eventually works.

Sometimes I won't have to hit the microphone again for weeks, sometimes it stops working after 10 minutes and I have to do it again.

Any idea what this issue could be?

Really appreciate any help in advance.

LOL. Have you tried using something with a little more mass to it, like a 9lb hammer? Jesus.

I don't think hitting it has been making the problem better, or likely to fix it, if that's what you're looking for.

Have you tried a different cable? Just on the off chance the problem lies there, and not within the microphone itself, or at least not initially?

If you've tried a couple different cables and the problem persists, you have to rule out what the cable is connected to on each end. It's possible the problem is in the mixer, and you've just associated smacking the poor microphone with the mixer misbehaving, so try a different mixer or an audio interface and see if the problem goes away.

If you've ruled out the cable and mixer, then someone should open up the mic and look for a loose connection. Or, you could do that first, if you have some patience and tools.

Thanks for the response. I've tried a new cable and it didn't make a difference.

I don't want to go and spend hundreds of dollars on a new mixer, then a new microphone in terms of diagnosing the issue, then having to return them all to the store as they weren't the problem.

How do I know that the mixer I listed above will work with my microphone? I'm inexperienced with this stuff. Maybe my mixer can't handle the power of this mic? How does it work? How can I tell if I search for a new mixer in store that it will be compatible with my new mic?

- The mic should work OK with that mixer, but the mic does not have much sensitivity, so the mixer may need the gain turned up to near maximum.
- When the mic doesn't work can you get the 'PEAK' light to flicker on if you turn the gain on the mixer to +50dB and speak loudly and close to the mic?
- 100% sure the XLR cables are fully seated into the mic and mixer? The XLR connector to the mic should click as the connector latch catches.
- When it does cutout, have you tried disconnecting the cable from the mic and then reconnecting? Leave the mixer on while doing this.
- It is entirely possible to have two cables with problems.

I'm inclined to agree with Keith, that it's likely there may be a loose connection in the mic, particular in light of your brute force 'troubleshooting' methods.

While the little mixer you have may have its uses, I kinda think you've boxed yourself into a corner with it. I'm guessing your connecting the mixer to the computer with a cable from the 'Main Outs' to an 1/8" (3.5mm) MIC/LINE input on the computer(?). While this can work, it's not going to be the best for audio quality and it makes it difficult to monitor audio if you wish to. Secondly this mixer only has 18 volts for phantom power for condenser microphones. Many condenser microphone require 48 volts phantom to power them, so if you ever wanted to change to a condenser mic you need to be aware if the mic you chose can work on a lower phantom power voltage.
Most here will recommend a USB interface rather than connect through the MIC/LINE jack to a computers builtin soundcard.
Behringer UMC22 USB Interface

Cold solder joint in the mic maybe. You could send it in for mic repairs. Although the repairs could be as much as the mic is worth. I use a pedal builder/ designer near me. He does all my pedals, and microphones. Repair costs are reasonable too.

Back