Microphone Suggestions For Me (read inside for details)

Seafroggys

So this is what I have right now:

2x RODE NT2-A's
1x AKG D112
1x Shure SM57
1x Audix i5
1x Sennheiser e609

I might be getting a much better job soon, so this might be a good idea to start investing in more mics, in the hopes that I can actually start up my studio as a business with clients. So this is what I'm thinking I should get in the short term (next 3-6 months):

1: A good vocal mic ($750-1000 USD price range)

I'm thinking large diaphram condensor, definitally a tube mic. I've been interested in the RODE NTK or the K2, but I have read that they sound harsh unless you change out the tubes, something I would rather not deal with. Do you have any other suggestions? I want something that would be well rounded, but geared more toward male rock vocals since I think that's where most my work is going to be.

2: A second bass mic

I'm for almost certain I'll be picking up the Audix D6 for this one.

3: Another 'workhorse' mic

Thinking of picking up another 'workhorse' mic, a la SM57. I already have a 57 and an i5, I should probably pick up another dynamic mic in the $100 range. I'd rather get another make if I could. Any suggestions here?

For vocals used ADK CE or add some more bucks and get a new one. Awesome mike. It has u47 style sound, not harsh or bright. I have one and everyone who listens to its records likes it.

As a workhorse check also some condensers if you have SM57 already. If you are on the limited budget CAD Equitek 300, more expensive AKG C414 or best (IMO) Neumann U87.

Think also about some condenser pencils for recording of the acoustic instruments (if you record any) such as Oktava MC 012 or SE Electronics 3.

A different sound will be brought also by a ribbon mike that can be used both for vocals and instruments. It has a fat very deep sound. There are very cheap and good ribbons on the market such as T.Bone RB100 or Nady RSM3.

as another dynamic mic i would reccomend a cheap chinese ribbon, or the blue ball, which is on sale for $50 over at streetwater.

Most tube LDC mics sound harsh with the stock tube. Swapping tubes in most mics is usually as simple as giving the bottom part of the mic a twist to unscrew it, lifting the bottom part off, sliding the body shell off (which the bottom holds in place), grabbing the tube with your (preferably gloved) fingers, pulling straight up, sticking the new one in its place, shoving straight down, sliding the body back on, rotating the body until the notch lines up so the body won't spin, and screwing the bottom back on. Takes about 45 seconds for a complete novice....

That said, the NTK or K2 wouldn't be my first pick for vocals based on the general muttering I've heard.

Personally, I'm a fan of the CAD M9. Depending on the voice, the ADK Generis GT-2 can also be a good choice, but that's quite a bit more colored, so I'd suggest trying one first. Of course, your price range is quite a bit above either of those, yet short of any of the Peluso tube LDCs, IIRC. Dunno. Maybe some of the higher end ADK stuff. Again, though, for any mic that ADK builds, I'd definitely want to try one out before I dropped a grand.

For a workhorse mic, consider the Naiant MSH-1 or the X-Q that is replacing it this year. You might also consider the almost-discontinued MSH-2 (which you can still get new for $32 apiece for as long as Jon has stock) or the X-T that is replacing it. The mics are designed by our own MsHilarious.

For vocals used ADK CE or add some more bucks and get a new one. Awesome mike. It has u47 style sound, not harsh or bright. I have one and everyone who listens to its records likes it.

An ADK CE is inspired by an AKG C12, not a Neumann U47. It is much closer to the former than the later.

male rock tube mic

So this is what I have right now:

2x RODE NT2-A's
1x AKG D112
1x Shure SM57
1x Audix i5
1x Sennheiser e609

I might be getting a much better job soon, so this might be a good idea to start investing in more mics, in the hopes that I can actually start up my studio as a business with clients. So this is what I'm thinking I should get in the short term (next 3-6 months):

1: A good vocal mic ($750-1000 USD price range)

I'm thinking large diaphram condensor, definitally a tube mic. I've been interested in the RODE NTK or the K2, but I have read that they sound harsh unless you change out the tubes, something I would rather not deal with. Do you have any other suggestions? I want something that would be well rounded, but geared more toward male rock vocals since I think that's where most my work is going to be.

2: A second bass mic

I'm for almost certain I'll be picking up the Audix D6 for this one.

3: Another 'workhorse' mic

Thinking of picking up another 'workhorse' mic, a la SM57. I already have a 57 and an i5, I should probably pick up another dynamic mic in the $100 range. I'd rather get another make if I could. Any suggestions here?

mxl v69....?.....it really depends on the sound coming out of the mouth.
for male rock vocals i use an ma200, but i heard the v69 thru a Great River on some website. It was very nice.

whats wrong with your recordings seems like a obvious question....
that being said an akg414 is a well respected vocal/oh/anything microphone.
what about a "tooob' microphone appeals to you?

I think my recordings are fine, I just want enough microphones to be prepared to take any sort of client for any situation.

Why do I want a tube mic? Because I'm a Ted Stevens fan :D

I don't know if I want "cheap" and I sure as hell can't afford a u87 for an "all-purpose" mic.

Cheap ribbons does not mean bad sound.
I paid only 75 EUR for T.Bone RB100 and it was one the best investments to my studio. Its sound is IMO quite mature.

Cheap ribbons does not mean bad sound.
I paid only 75 EUR for T.Bone RB100 and it was one the best investments to my studio. Its sound is IMO quite mature.

Cascade Fatheads have been very favorably reviewed, and are not expensive.

Back