Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Microphone For Room Recording Drum Kit?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Years ago, I had a Realistic PZM boundary mic that I used for this sort of thing. Wherever I put the mic, the recording sounding exactly like that position in the room. I would take the mic and a cassette recorder to shows, lay the mic on top of my amp, and the recording would sound just like it sounded where I stood while playing.

We also would sometimes mic up and have the sound guy mix us at practice. We stuck 2 SM 57's, left and right, on stands near the board and we got fairly good recordings.

Any time I've ever had distortion while using a modern mic, it's been due to overloaded preamps. It's never been the mic.

Thanks
    Thanks Partonkevin, you're the second person to say you've used SM57s for this. Actually I use one of those to mic my amp. It's good to know they would work to mic the room as well. If I have to change the mic I'll give it a go with one of these.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Williams View Post
    Now I play with a drummer I have to stand at the other side of the room and havenít got a cat in hellís chance of seeing the lights. There are two ways of sorting this out, 1) would be put the mixer in front of me on the floor where I can see the lights properly and set the input gain accordingly, but the easier option now is to ask the guy who runs the practice room to help us with set up.
    The drums are going to be the loudest thing going on; Certainly I'd expect the peaks to exceed those of any other instrument.
    I'd get the drummer to bang away on the snare and do a quick level check.
    If there are guitarists/bassists available too you may as well get them to thrash away too.

If you get them playing their absolute loudest and do a quick check at the mixer to determine that there's wiggle room, it should be a case of set and forget.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Thanks. When I tested the mic out on just the drums I was hammering the two rack toms (together) and then the snare and floor tom (together) alternatively, and kick peddling the bass drum at the same time. That was pretty loud. If I ask her to do that I think that will be as loud as the kit gets. Then if me and our bassist play a chord at the same time to make it the maximum loud it's going to be I can look down at the lights if I place the mixer by my feet. However, if I do a vocal as well it will be even louder! For this I will have to put the mic lower than normal so I can look down at the lights when I'm doing it. But to be honest we might as well just play a song! This whole performance will waste about half the practice time but at least we will only have to do it once!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Williams View Post
    Thanks. When I tested the mic out on just the drums I was hammering the two rack toms (together) and then the snare and floor tom (together) alternatively, and kick peddling the bass drum at the same time. That was pretty loud. If I ask her to do that I think that will be as loud as the kit gets. Then if me and our bassist play a chord at the same time to make it the maximum loud it's going to be I can look down at the lights if I place the mixer by my feet. However, if I do a vocal as well it will be even louder! For this I will have to put the mic lower than normal so I can look down at the lights when I'm doing it. But to be honest we might as well just play a song! This whole performance will waste about half the practice time but at least we will only have to do it once!
    A sound check doesn't need to take half the practice although quick pointer - When you need someone to play as loud as they're going to get, make sure they go for it.
    Repeating individual or paired drums is never going to be as loud as just kicking into a chorus at full vol.

Anyway...This should be a five minute job.
    If the mixer isn't convenient to you while you're performing I'd either move things around, or just do a test record and check it.

Gain down - Pad on - Band ready - Kick into a loud chorus - Play for 8 bars - Stop - Check recording.
    If it sounds good, you're done. If it doesn't, all you can really do is try pulling the mixer faders down a bit and try again.
    If that's still no good then maybe the band are just too loud or the mic can't handle it - I'd turn down or try a dynamic.

Not sure if mic position has been mentioned but I'd have the speakers on one side and the mic on the other, so the mic isn't unnecessarily close.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thread Information