Microphone problem

Dracoid

Hi, I'm a total newbie to this, I probably lack the vocabulary to explain my problem properly (or to find a previous thread about this). I would say "phlanging"? Well, there's some weird echoey business going on when I try to record acoustic guitar through my Samson Q1U USB Mic.

It often starts off fine and then after a few seconds starts making strange noises, the strange noises drown out the guitar, and they rise and fall throughout the recording. I've tried doing it in various rooms, with different guitars, increasing the mic sensitivity and moving it further away, decreasing it and moving it closer, pointing it in all directions - it does nothing to change the result.

I should say that all the rooms I've tried it in have been in a big old house, the garage etc.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/740726423ce2cd98/

I've uploaded (hopefully) a recording illustrating the problem.

Note - the guitar was actually played at the same volume throughout, although it doesn't sound like that because of the whatever-it-is.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome, I literally can't think of anything I could change.

Are you recording while spinning on a bar stool?

Are you playing to the backside of a directional mic?

Could be phase cancellation if you're monitoring system is playing while you're playing. Use a set of headphones and if it goes away, there's your problem. Moving forward or backwards while playing (relative to the mic) will trigger the change. Turning down or off the monitoring system might also work. Recording in a larger space might also help.

Could be a bad cable / mic. Bad USB bus, try a few other ports if you've got them. Could be that game of quake you have running in the background. Or an A/V program chewing up your resources. Could be almost anything. About all we know is it's undersireable (in most circles).

I have the answer, sorry for troubling you. I gave a link to this thread to a friend and he got it straight away (since he's seen my laptop). My laptop has a built-in mic in it, which has to be disabled if you're using a separate mic.

2 mics = confusion.

Well, maybe someone else will type "weird echoey business" into the search and this will help them out.

Thanks people.

Back