Microphone or Preamp problem? AT-2050 + DBX 286S

OneFlash

Hello guys, my name is David, nice to meet you. I have a problem for a few weeks with my microphone (Audio Technica AT-2050) or preamp (DBX 286S). I don't know where the problem is coming, and which of them should I warranty.

My microphone suddenly starts to loose gain and it starts to do white noise. If i turn off +48V phantom power, and turn it back on, it goes all normal, for 1-2-3 days, and then starts again do to this.

Do you have any idea which one of the equipment needs to be fixed, mic or the dbx ?

My audio setup looks like this:

AT2050 -> DBX286S -> Behringer X1622 -> Scarlett2i2 1 -> PC 1
-> Scarlett2i2 2 -> PC 2

Thanks in advance...!

Just plug the mic straight into the Scarlett and see if it reproduces the problem. If it does, it’s the mic; and if it doesn’t, it’s something else between the mic and the Scarlett.

The problem is 100% under the scarlett, because I monitor the microphone in my headphones which are plugged in in the mixer.

The problem is 100% under the scarlett, because I monitor the microphone in my headphones which are plugged in in the mixer.
Please explain what "under the scarlett" means.

I'll try this again. if you test the microphone by itself, absent the other piece you suspect, through an interface you do not suspect, then you have the microphone "in isolation" and you will be able to see if it exhibits the same fault. If it does not, you can probably rule the microphone out as a cause of the problem you are experiencing. Does that make sense?

- A damp mic capsule may do just what you describe and it could come and go.
- Are you using a pop filter which will reduce the amount of moisture in your breath from getting into the mic?
- Damp/humid room?

- Try plugging the mic directly into the X1622 mixer and monitoring with the headphones connected to the mixer to eliminate the DBX286s as a potential problem.

If you think it could be dampness/moisture on the mic capsule, put the mic in a plastic ziplock bag with some desiccant packs. Dry white rice in a nylon stocking can work also in place of desiccant packs.

Attachments

• damp mic.jpg
    damp mic.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 11
Thanks. I will try to connect it directly into the mixer for a few days and see if i get rid of the problem.

Ok, so I left the microphone last night connected to the X1622 mixer and in the morning it lost its gain, and started to sound noisy and like i was talking from the other room. I unplugged the microphone and plugged it back in, and now it's normal.

My room is not humid, i have a foam/sponge pop filter over it. I always protected it from dust and humidity.

So the microfone is defective... ?

The DBX286s appears not to be the problem, but as Keith suggests, it possibly could be the mixer. Plug the mic into the 2i2 interface with phantom on and see what the mic does.

You have not mentioned trying a different cable connected to the mic either. While a faulty mic cable may have different symptoms than what you are seeing, it may be worth trying a new cable.

Unless you have good reason to use the foam/sponge 'pop filter' over the mic, I would suggest using a round mesh type pop filter instead. The room may not seem humid, but I could envision the foam shield over the mic collecting and retaining moisture from your breath. Desiccant packs and a ziplock plastic bag are cheaper than a new mic and worth a try.

After a few hours connected to the 2i2 interface (with a different XLR cable) my voice lost a bit of the High's, but no hissing at the moment. Now i need to use the microphone, and i will leave it tonight connected to the 2i2 for 12+ hours and see how it sounds tomorrow.

But i am 99% sure already that the microphone is the problem..

Thank you for the help! ;)

After leaving the microphone daily when i didn't used it in a bag with rice and Silica Gel, it lasted for 1+ day without any signal change. Today i just opened the mic and cleaned the capsule and the board inside from dust. There was very little signs of dried humidity on the capsule surface and cleaned it with a very small brush and alcohol. Now i will leave it connected to see if it's all good after a few days/weeks. I will upgrade to a SM7B anyway, and have the 2050 as a backup or second mic. Thanks :D!

If you are recording in a booth or small room without ventilation extraction then you could be getting a build up of condensation which will become apparent at this time of year. Condensation forms on cold surfaces possibly the metal parts of your microphone. It does not need to be dripping for it to cause problems. Not only that it could damage your other electrical equipment.

There could even be a damp spot in your room where condensation has built up over time and this adding to the moisture in the air. Timber can get damp and hold moisture.

Try putting a dehumidifier in your booth for a few days. If it collects water then.........

Back