Microphone Options for Video Recording

lastrenman

Hi everyone. I am in the process of recording a 1 man show that is similar in format to Conan. I am currently using a Senheiser EW 100 with ME-2 Lav Microphone. This is an older one so it doesn’t use G4. I want to upgrade the sound quality but not sure how to beat do this: 1) Keep the transmitter and receiver system but upgrade the mic to a DPA 4066 or 4060. 2) Keep using the ME-2 I have and add a shotgun mic - Sennheiser MKH 416, but I won’t have a boom pole operator so it will sit on a boom stand. These will record through a Focusrite 2i4 or a Tascam DR40. Any thoughts?

A little more detail about what you're doing and what you expect to hear will help.

What about your current sound do you not like? What are you looking to improve about the sound? Do you have guests, or do you just need to mic yourself?

Work on your technique...

If an ME2 doesn't give you what you want, throwing money at it won't help either. Sure, the DPA's you mention might be a little better, but they might also reveal even more problems with the room.

A shotgun isn't really an indoors mic. Especially for a sit-down commenter show, I see little use without a good boom pole operator.

Coming back to the room, how is that acoustically? Any treatment done?

No accoustic treatment for this room. The sound is muffled and I suspect it’s more the placement of the mic than the mic itself but I am trying to get broadcast quality sound. I suppose the better question would be, assuming I fix the issue of placement, would there be a noticeable difference with a DPA?

There will be guests but they won’t always be there, they will sometimes appear remotely. I need to think about your question in more detail because I honestly haven’t thought much about what I want vs what I have. I am just trying to avoid quality issues that can’t be fixed in post production.

If you've already got semi-decent lavaliers, treating your room is probably the most helpful thing to do. Get the room quiet and unreflective.
That and mic placement. Try pinning them in a bunch of different locations to see what works well.

Back