Microphone for Male Soprano Opera Singer Under $2,000

airoll

Hi folks,

I would like to get my dad a microphone (and recording setup) for Christmas and his birthday this year. He is an soprano opera singer, not a professional but he is definitely an enthusiast. He would be using it for home recording. The house he lives in is somewhat spacious, and there are a few areas that he is able to record in. Our budget is around $2,000 for the entire setup. I don't think he will do any super complex editing.

Can you suggest a microphone (and possibly an audio interface and other room setup) that I can look into? Happy to add a sample of his singing if that would help.

Thanks so much!

Well if that's the space, it's not too bad. I suspect what I would do is NOT go too crazy at first. Does he want to use a computer? Does he have a hifi system he can listen on or decent headphones?

Personally - I'd be very tempted to buy something like a Scarlett 2i2 - Thomann in Europe even do a beginners starter kit with headphones and a quite pleasant basic condenser for just over £200. Buy something like Cubase Elements and you have a working beginners system for £300 (350USD?)

This will let him experiment and the software has decent reverbs and other useful onboard sounds.

Then maybe in six months when he has got the hang of everything he might want to look at maybe a different mic. Nothing in his voice jumps out as a problem to record - he might actually want to damp down the room a bit with some panels - but again, try it first and see - and Cubase can add artificial reverb that is quite good and controllable. I assume he plans to use some tracks to sing to? Cubase can handle these too.

I also note he's not a soprano at all though - he's a tenor. I did wonder.

From former Orchestral Trombonist: I'm not too sure that your father's WONDERFUL singing is in the broad spectrum Soprano range at least not in the world of SATB. Perhaps Tenor?
I'm sure a Neumann U87 would work well but it is about $1500 over your budget in itself.
Nonetheless, I'm thinking that the WARM AUDIO WA-47 Mic would worth a try as would the current version of the sE Electronics Z5600A, both tube mics. IMO, The Z5600a voicing is somewhere between a U67 and U87 but not with as much low-mid support as the '67. The '47 provides a fuller sounding "lower end" with a smoother upper range than the Z5600a (mk2?). Both mics are less than $1000 US. The Material and Build Quality on the 5600AII will be somewhat better and the mic capsule is handbuilt (last I heard anyway). The newly released Warm Audio WA-67 tube mic might also be something consider.
Research and read.
Kudos to your Dad!!!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions Bob! I have looked into the Warm Audio WA-47 and it looks really promising. In some other threads I have also heard the name Schoeps come up a lot. Is that a good choice too (e.g. MK4), or is that not appropriate for the setting my dad would be recording in?

Schoeps makes great microphones but I am not familiar with their product line. I own both the WA-47 and the Z5600a among others. Have you spent any time researching what gear you will need to get your Father's vocal from microphone into the computer recording software? What software will you use? Will you want Studio Monitors or Studio Headphones or both? Will his vocals be sung in a large open area or do you want to use a smaller recording booth type of environment? A $2000 budget is a nice way to start but it can be eaten up quickly so mapping out your initial mic to software chain will allow for better answers................

All in one 2 channel recording interface with DAW Control

One recently released piece of gear that I think might be cool for your setup would be the PreSonus ioStation-24c. $299 US. Follow link to view info and video. Free Recording Software too. USB-C. Monitor out jax. Headphone out jak. Motorized fader.
ioStation 24c | PreSonus

Last edited:
Awesome! I was actually just about to ask about the audio interface. I had gotten the Audient iD4 for my in girlfriend in the past but I think the one you shared looks great! It looks like it has more controls on the interface itself? (Sorry I'm an audio noob.). Any suggestions for the studio microphone or software either? I know Rob mentioned Cubase. I'd like to find something as easy to use as possible (on Windows).

Many interfaces (Presonus, Focusrite, Audient etc) will come with a basic DAW. I'm guessing that your dad will be using prerecorded tracks, which can easily be loaded into any software. A basic version of Studio One, Cubase or ProTools will handle the simple task of adding a vocal to a track. In addition, you can download Reaper to try for free, a full license is $60. Cakewalk by Bandlab is a free DAW.

Even going with a higher end mic like the WA47, and a Scarlett 2i2 or Presonus interface, you still would have enough to buy a computer and monitors and still be under $2000.

Other mics you could consider, AT 4033, Shure KSM32, Rode NT1, Aston Spirit. There is a potload of mics in the $3-500 range. Just look on Sweetwater or Musician Friend's website.

I'm a hobbyist, and spent much less than $2000 for my current computer setup initially.

Careful shopping can knock off hundreds of $$.

Back