microphone damage (behringer c2)

daveblue222

just set up my matched behringer c2s and got the levels right for recording classical guitar, i then decided to toggle the switch on one of them to roll of the bass. i then switched it back to its previous setting and now i get a kind of wind sound in the background that wasn't there before. the clarity and volume still sound the same but just this weird noise, very much like you would get placing a mic outdoors.

any ideas :confused:

Sounds like high (noisy) contact resistance between the switch poles. These HPF and attenuation circuits are generally not a good idea - they often are placed in a very sensitive area of the circuit and can degrade the signal path purity. I would suggest exercising the switch back and forth and hope that the crud on the contacts will get burnished off and the mic will be come quiet again.

thanks for the advice will try flicking back on forth the switch. i have little knowledge about microphones and was wondering what you meant by HPF and attenuation circuits? is this the switch? that in turn changes the circuit somewhat?

cheers:)

HPF = High Pass Filter (otherwise known as bass cut). Attenuation = reduces sensitivity of the mic by 10dB (usually). Most often these are separate switches. Sometimes the functions are combined into a single three position switch. But yeah, flick that sucker back and forth.

Back