Microphone and attenuator for micing loud guitar amp

Alan0354

I am looking for a cheap mic for guitar amp. So far I found:

1) Nady SP-33 for $19.99 with cable.

2) GLS ES-57 for about $40.

If I want to plug into a video recorder with 3.5mm stereo mic jack, can anyone suggest what I need to get for two mic?

Do I need a mic attenuator like Audio-Technica AT8202 Adjustable In-Line Attenuator

Get the specs up or something.
Are you Shure it supposed to have a stereo mic ..only? Or maybe it's a balanced line in?

I can't find the spec. This is all I can find:

1)GLS ES-57
Uni-Directional Dynamic Microphone
Designed for Musical Instruments & Drums
Sensitivity: -72dB at 1,000 Hz (Open Circuit Voltage)
Frequency Range: 40 Hz - 15,000 Hz
Lo-Z XLR 3 Pin Balanced
Impedance: 300 ohms at 1,000 Hz

The Nady has even less info, not worth copying.

I'd record the audio separately . And mix it back in with the video later. Video cams are not known for the best qaulity audio.
Most mics for cams are not voiced in the best spectrum for a guitar cab.
The gls es57 should be fine for this it's an sm57 clone. A dynamic mic.
Most cams use use condensor mics I believe

I'd record the audio separately . And mix it back in with the video later. Video cams are not known for the best qaulity audio.
Most mics for cams are not voiced in the best spectrum for a guitar cab.
The gls es57 should be fine for this it's an sm57 clone. A dynamic mic.
Most cams use use condensor mics I believe
Thanks for the reply. I am not looking for CD quality sound, I just need to be better than just using the video recorder build in mic. For one, I need the mic to be close to the amp to eliminate the room sound( reflection of walls and furnitures). I need to have a mic that does not distort on very loud sound when close to the speaker. I just want to plug it into the video recorder with the 3.5mm mic input.

I can't find the spec. This is all I can find:

1)GLS ES-57
Uni-Directional Dynamic Microphone
Designed for Musical Instruments & Drums
Sensitivity: -72dB at 1,000 Hz (Open Circuit Voltage)
Frequency Range: 40 Hz - 15,000 Hz
Lo-Z XLR 3 Pin Balanced
Impedance: 300 ohms at 1,000 Hz

The Nady has even less info, not worth copying.
I meant for the camera - the mic input question resolved addresses the mic and attenuator questions.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/equip...rding-guitar-amp-using-my-nikon-d7000-368183/
Ok, two posts..
This wasn't too hard..
Nikon D7000 Microphones — Reviews of Nikon D7000-compatible mics and other accessories.
..right from the link in the article
Amazon.com: Hosa Angled 1/8 or 3.5 Stereo to Female XLR Cable - Right Angle, 1 Foot: Musical Instruments

I'd say get a little mixer - two mic ins, two outs with level controls (via L & R outs + pan on the mic channels to assign' them to L or R), then you'll need two TR or XLR's y'd to your cable terminating to the mini plug.

You Shure you want to go through all that ;)

I meant for the camera - the mic input question resolved addresses the mic and attenuator questions.

Camera manual and spec gave absolutely no information. It is a Nikon D7000 digital SLR. Only thing it said is 3.5mm stereo jack input. This is all they have:

Movie Audio
Built-in microphone, monaural
Optional external stereo mini-pin jack (3.5mm diameter)
Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted

I have been thinking, can I get the GLS ES-57, then I build a small box with a 500ohm volume pot. The mic is about 300ohm impedance, so I just use the mic to drive the volume pot, then use the wiper of the volume pot to drive into the camera. This I can adjust the attenuation.

The mic you fancy is a cheap dynamic, styled after the Shure SM57. It will be happy in front of the amp. However, your video recorder is no doubt expecting to get a typical signal from a room mic, designed to pick up everything, so almost certainly you'll overload the input, so some for of mic pad would be handy, but I too suggest using a small compact mixer with a proper gain control - however these output at mic level, and again this is likely to overload your input. If you can solder, then a small pad can be built into the XLR connector, and a 3.5mm plug stuck on the other end, wired to give mono (just shorting the tip and ring together). The pad is just 2 or 3 resistors, so nothing tricky.

Your pot solution is a bit crude, and will load the mic up a little - so I think I'd use a 1-5K pot to give a bit of range, it will be a bit squashed to one end - a T pad is a bit better designed, but the pot as a potential divider will do the job. Just short the 3.5mm plug on the output and it will work. You will need to link 1 and 3 in the XLR, to unbalance it, don't forget.

The mic you fancy is a cheap dynamic, styled after the Shure SM57. It will be happy in front of the amp. However, your video recorder is no doubt expecting to get a typical signal from a room mic, designed to pick up everything, so almost certainly you'll overload the input, so some for of mic pad would be handy, but I too suggest using a small compact mixer with a proper gain control - however these output at mic level, and again this is likely to overload your input. If you can solder, then a small pad can be built into the XLR connector, and a 3.5mm plug stuck on the other end, wired to give mono (just shorting the tip and ring together). The pad is just 2 or 3 resistors, so nothing tricky.

Your pot solution is a bit crude, and will load the mic up a little - so I think I'd use a 1-5K pot to give a bit of range, it will be a bit squashed to one end - a T pad is a bit better designed, but the pot as a potential divider will do the job. Just short the 3.5mm plug on the output and it will work. You will need to link 1 and 3 in the XLR, to unbalance it, don't forget.

Thanks for the reply, that's getting to what I want to do. Do you have a schematic on the resistor circuit that you can build into the XLR connector.

Also what is the story of the XLR connector? Is it true one of the connector that has 3 pins has two signal lines and one ground lines. That it can support 2 microphone in one line. that you can hook up two mic through one XLR cable and then adapt into a stereo 3.5mm jack to plug into a stereo recorder?

I thought people make a big sting about the need of loading a low impedance mic with low impedance!!!! That's the reason I choose 500ohm.

Last edited:
Also what is the story of the XLR connector? Is it true one of the connector that has 3 pins has two signal lines and one ground lines. That it can support 2 microphone in one line. that you can hook up two mic through one XLR cable and then adapt into a stereo 3.5mm jack to plug into a stereo recorder?

I thought people make a big sting about the need of loading a low impedance mic with low impedance!!!! That's the reason I choose 500ohm.

I can foresee issues with this strategy.
Why would you want two for a single amp?
Why not just spend the money on a mic that's made for cams and adjust the mics input on the cam.(if that's an option.)
Sorry if this seems negative. I just think if your going to the trouble of getting the iron hot you could look for alternatives.

I can foresee issues with this strategy.
Why would you want two for a single amp?
Why not just spend the money on a mic that's made for cams and adjust the mics input on the cam.(if that's an option.)
Sorry if this seems negative. I just think if your going to the trouble of getting the iron hot you could look for alternatives.

I am not trying to use two mic through one cable, I just saw adapters that go from one XLR connector to two, and XLR connector to stereo 3.5mm. Just a question.

I cannot use the mic for the camera because I need to put it very close to the guitar amp that is 50W and crank it up all the way. I even need special mic that take over 140SPL.

Cranking a 50watter and expecting any mic to behave is going to be challenging.
I wish I could help

Maybe a link to the cable may help me understand better.

Cranking a 50watter and expecting any mic to behave is going to be challenging.
I wish I could help

Maybe a link to the cable may help me understand better.

Shure SM57 or GLS SE57 are designed for micing guitar amps under extreme loud condition. Both are designed to be inches away from the speaker. I just need to attenuate the signal. I just read, they say they don't do 1:1 matching, rather 1:10 matching. This means using a 5K pot to load the mic.

Back