Microphone advice/recommendations

Sam S

Hey everyone so when I first started out with home recording I had the usb Blue Yeti mic and it wasn't the greatest but it got the job done. So I finally upgraded to get out of usb and I ended up going with the AKG C214 and so far not that bad of a mic but to be completely honest it doesn't sound that much better than the Yeti....so I have decided to upgrade once again and see where that leads me but I have no idea what to get and all that good stuff. So right now I just have the mic that's plugged into the Scarlett Solo and that's plugged into my computer. I have been reading about preamps and some other stuff I cant recall and Im thinking maybe I am missing something or maybe this isnt the mic for me. I have heard many good things about the C214 but I am just not that impressed for the price. I bought it used from Guitar Center for like $300. If I upgrade will I need a preamp? Do I need an interface with two mic plug slots instead of one? What are some recommendations for a better quality mic that's still under $500?

Thanks for all your help,
Sam

This comes up quite often, but I'll be the first to say that there's almost no such thing as "better" without some frame of reference.

In your case, that frame of reference is what you're hearing back after recording your own voice. We can't hear your voice or your recordings, but even without that, I'll go a bit out on the limb and say that switching microphones around is the next to last thing to tinker with (the interface being the last) when you are hoping to really "move the needle" in what you are hearing.

Can you give a SoundCloud link (leave off the https:// part) to a track you've recorded so we have your frame of reference to work with?

I'm curious what does "not impressed" means for you. I'll admit I've moved away from the C214 for my own vocals, but this was after using it for a couple years and I'd say nobody can hear the difference in my recordings and say "Aha! You switched mics right there!"

Now, to answer your questions:

You don't need an interface with more mic preamps if all you are doing is recording a single microphone. The Solo has all you need for that.

You don't need an [extra] preamp to record any normal/standard large condenser like the C214.

IMO, there's no such thing as a "better quality" mic than the C214 for under $500. There are just different mics that have qualities that may be subtle or not, depending on how they are used and what the source is. I still use my C214 for acoustic guitar almost all the time, and occasionally for vocals. It's not what I use now for my own froggy vocals, but the mics I've been using all cost less than my C214! Hardly "upgrades" in the sense I think you have - just better suited, perhaps.

P.S. What is your recording space like? A good room with treatment? Vocals are notoriously hard to record with good quality in a bad space.

I have the C214 and while it's not my most used mic, it is a decent mic which works well with my voice. Along with room treatment as Keith mentioned, have you tried recording at different distances to the mic(finding a 'sweet spot' where the mic sounds best) or positioning the mic differently(such as up at forehead level pointed down a bit at your mouth)?

I have an old model AKG C4000B (not the Chinese one), apparently they sound like a 414 and a 214, if the 214 is anything like the C4000B I find that the C4000B is not really good on vocals, sounds great on acoustic guitars and bass cabs. Funny thing is the C4000B does sound good on my vocals but not for a lot of the other singers I have come in.

Don't be surprised that the C214 does not meet expectations, however it does not mean it's a bad mic, It just does not suit everyones vocals. I should also point out that the better the mic is, the better the room acoustics need to be because the better mics pick up the room acoustics more.

Alan.

Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter sounds amazing to me. Although, I'm not sure if you could get both SM7B and CL-1 below $500? I also like the Rode NT1. It's in the in the $270 range. I agree with keith.rogers about the treatment of the room.

Shure SM7B with Cloudlifter sounds amazing to me. Although, I'm not sure if you could get both SM7B and CL-1 below $500? I also like the Rode NT1. It's in the in the $270 range. I agree with keith.rogers about the treatment of the room.
I got lucky a few years ago and found a used SM7b from an online music retailer for $285. Stuck an $80 FetHead behind it and I'm happy.

Back