micing "pling plong"/paper music device??

mekohler

I got this as a gift last year:

youtube.com/watch?v=w_yZJVUucBQ

I was wanting to mount it on top of a hollow wooden box of some sort and mic it from the inside. All I have right now is a SM58, and when I use that to TEST mic it, the sounds are barely audible, even with compressors and stuff. There is more white noise than anything.

What type of mic should I be looking at? Contact mics? Condenser? I dont want to spend more than 60 bux since it's just a toy, but I would really like to be able to mic it so I can add reverb and delay.

Thanks!

Firebox - macbook - ableton Live - PA

Here's an idea for you that costs nothing to try, not sure how it sounds...

Borrow an acoustic guitar that has a built in piezo pickup, play the thing on top of the guitar (as a resonance box) and record the guitar output...

Martin

An LDC might work well on it. But for a soft sound source, you're probably better off with room treatments. The video soundtrack isn't bad. You just don't want the computers case fan, or A/C, or whatever is making the background noise making said noise.

You might try bracing it against a piece of floor tile (ceramic) so it doesn't wobble so much. The tile can rest on cloth, but having a tile there might help project the sound better towards the mic. And make it a little easier to play.

An LDC might work well on it. But for a soft sound source, you're probably better off with room treatments. The video soundtrack isn't bad. You just don't want the computers case fan, or A/C, or whatever is making the background noise making said noise.

You might try bracing it against a piece of floor tile (ceramic) so it doesn't wobble so much. The tile can rest on cloth, but having a tile there might help project the sound better towards the mic. And make it a little easier to play.

I know. I'm talking about mic'ing it for a live situation. When its on the hollow box you can hear it anywhere in a room really nicely. I want to mic it so I can add effects and also so it stands out when synths/acoustic guitar are being played.

Back