which mic to use?

hixmix

Halibut, North Dakota
I'd like to record some band rehersals. I just want to set up one or two mics in a room and let them pick up everything that's going on. What kind of microphone should I use for this application?

what you are describing sounds like a recipe for disaster. if the band is playing amplified electric instruments in a smallish room, you will likely only get a big pile of mud on your recording, and it wont matter what kind of mics or other equipment you use. the only way i ever found to record rehearsals was when we moved to a stereo PA system and started running everything into the PA direct. we used no external guitar amp or bass amp - we used a rockman bass box and some funky gallien-kruger guitar box - synths straight in, vocals into processor into PA, and i put a pair of overheads on the drums and mixed them with the output of the PA system. that setup worked pretty well for us to listen to our parts and overall balance. you can learn some valuable things from critical listening of your material that way. btw, we played several gigs using that stereo setup and it was damn convenient (all our balances were preset, and the bass player and guitar player were not always sneaaking back turning up their amp just a little more) and the audience loved the stereo effects we laid on them. good luck.

I actually posted the above question for a friend. All he has is a stereo cassette deck for recording the rehearsals. Given that limitation, how can he get the best results.

For recording of a rehersal I´ve just a Sony stereo condens mike hooked into a Sony WM tape recorder. OK for rehersal.
For recording of demoes, we have used 2 AKG C1000S in the room, one line out from the PA with the vocal recorded into a Sony MD4 4 track MD. Everything recorded in one shot. For our purpose it was ok, as long as the band playes low and in balance. And its easy!
Juncher

The best cheapest thing i've used were telephone mics.

ROund rubber pieces used to tape phone conversations. For cheap ass mics they sounded great. Radio Shaft might have em.

Back